Game keeps crashing on onderon, any tips?

So I was feeling nostalgic and decided to reinstall this game last week and I've been having a blast. The problem is that it keeps crashing when I try to load the merchant's quarter on Onderon, my third planet. I'm playing on a computer that far exceeds the reccomended specs and up till now I haven't really had any issues. I do recall it crashing during one other load, but upon restarting the game it worked fine. I already tried reinstalling the game and restarting my computer a number of times.

Please help, i really want to finish the game :D

Just ran into the same problem last night. I have tried miscellaneous suggestions found on the internet like adding swkotor2.exe to the Nvidia 3d utilization thingy...

someone else said to resume your saved game from a linux system... i dont have that option myself.

Anyone got ideas?

8800gts

I have experience with this game on multiple systems. I never had this problem before, until now. The only thing I have changed is ive upgraded vid cards to a GT8800. With all it's beautiful defects, the driver series is probably causing the problems.

Well, i really wanted to continue this game so i installed it on a laptop and brought my save game over, just to get to the merchant quarter, and it worked! my laptop had a ATI express 1100, and it struggled to make it through the gate, but it made it work.

put it back on my beast machine with the gt8800 and continued. then, i needed to go into the iziz cantina. Same problem with the crash on loading screen. Looks like i'ma have to transfer my save to my laptop EVERY time i need to enter or exit that cantina or merc quarter. Great.

Well, if anyone from Obsidian still checks these forums, I want to let you know that you have a pretty dissatisfied customer. Game incompletion aside, I just have too many issues running this damn thing. And to me, I drop 50 bucks on a game when it comes out, i want to be able to play it for at LEAST five years before backward compatibility becomes out of reach. With the last update patch now years old, I think it's time to consider devoting some man power to fixing the problems in a potentially amazing game.

I'ma have to point out the fact that KOTOR1 has had NO glitches with me so far. I've played that game on xbox, 5500, gt7900 and the gt8800 without an issue. And it put in so much respect for Bioware in my eyes, that I bought Mass Effect without a second thought.

This is a business and we are customers. Don't leave a customer, who paid for your product multiple times on multiple platforms, high and dry when he can't make it to the end due to programing issues. Anywhere else and the customer would be asking for a refund!

You guys should try to run the game with an older Forceware driver. It might work. Don't know about you but I've encountered quite a few bugs with old games and the new NV drivers.

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I attempted that, in incremental steps backward, and it did work. But, i had to downgrade so far into the past that i started getting issues with my other games again. It wouldnt be a problem if swapping drivers was as easy as a batch file or something (which is probably possible) but for now, I am kinda having a hissy fit with the backward compatibility of KOTOR2. Kotor1 had no problems, even on my new system.

well, i think im just complaining because I have come to the realization that PC gaming is dead. Too much money, too many problems... Sadly, us PC savys are getting fed up our selfs.