Vid Card Upgrade - KOTOR2 Crashes!

Hey guys

I have been able to play both kotor games on my pc before. i had...

core 2 duo 2.4gig @ 1066 fsb

3 gigs RAM

7900gt

XP Sp2

lots of steam to run this game

recently, i upgraded vid cards to a 8800gts. When i went to launch kotor2, i can see the opening videos fine, but then, instead of giving me the opening menu, it plays the music for a short second before crashing to the desktop. Every time.

i have tried alot. changing compatibility mode in XP, updated vid card drivers, updated kotor2, messed with out of game settings menu, even crashed and reinstalled XP fresh. I still cant get to the opening menu.

I am not a complete PC idiot, but I have looked everywhere and can not find a similar problem or solution on the net. Any tips?

I have a similar problem with a similar system. I can run the game, but get random freezes, crashes and even spontaneous reboots on a Core 2/8800 GTS system with plenty of RAM and current drivers. I've already searched Lucasarts technical support and the FAQs here and nothing helped.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=6/5/2008 2:26:18 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=4092

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2397

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=15

CPUStepping=6

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel

Edited by CastleBravo

You are getting more than I though. I can't even get to the opening menu :)

I'm at work right now, but I have an idea.

think that setting the affinity to only one of the two cores would work? (Probably not because it worked on the two cores before with the older vid card)

ill try and post my results

Edited by drivethrubuddha

Yes, having it run on just one core is supposed to help K2, I think.

I also have a 8x series nvidia card on my laptop and it seems to be finicky about resolutions as well... I was trying to get mass effect to run last night and it would crash until I fixed the resolution in the settings... though no idea if that's your problem here...

You might also try to find older drivers... I hear K2 doesn't like the newest ones... :)

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

so far, the only resolution I have tried is the native 800x600, just to see if i can get it going. My standard res is 1680x1050.

Drives me crazy; I can run Crysis at 1680x1050 with max settings just fine, but i cant get KOTOR2 to work!?

i am really bummed out about it too. I love the kotor series. Was lookin forward to some good ol' exile mayhem last night.

So far, I have not seen anyone with the same problem; where they are unable to get to the main menu screen. The main screen is the first screen where the game is actually rendering and not playing video. Is there directx or opengl issues with the 8800 that might be causing the dump when rendering?

Edited by drivethrubuddha

Play your card on lowest settings and turn on Anti-Aliasing, and a few other things to lower everything. YEs I know your card can handle it but KOTOR 2 is set up wierd in terms of graphic card capabillity. I can play just about any game on my computer, but KOTOR 2 is one of the games that gives me trouble, first because I use Vista for windows, and second because my new age graphics card is not supported.

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

Well, i couldnt access the AA controls from the config menu (before entering the game) but i turned everything down and still didn't get any results.

I downgraded the forceware a step and...

BAM!

Works like a charm!

(Ill post the forceware version i downgraded to soon so if anyone else is running into the prob...)

I DO notice the low FPS problem i have been reading about with the 8800 gts users... It lags with the smoke shaders.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, I was ripping my hair out on this one...

Seeing as i am a huge fan of the Kotor series, and people here seem to know what they are talking about, I should check this place out more often!

I told you man, I had the same exact problem that will need to be fixed in new games to come. Its a stupid issue, you go out and buy a nice card, then you cant play because the "old" game you want to play doesnt support your card because it is too good.

62nzp7r.jpg

I have just brought the game again havn't played in years but on my new vista run laptop it wont seem to run installed right even got it to play when the windows updater installed a new update but wont run now neither will it download the latest patch?? Can any one help???

uninstall and when your loading it right click the download and click properties.. click the box that says "Run using Windows XP". then when you run the game itself to update do the same thing and also press "run as adminstrator"

62nzp7r.jpg