The Velociraptor

mkreku

Western Digital has finally upgraded the ageing Raptor drives, by introducing the new Velociraptor drive. They also won an award for cheesiest name.

Anyhow, the beast is available up to 300 GB and is almost as fast as a solid state disk... Almost.

Read Tom's Hardware take on it: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/HDD-SA...aptor,1914.html

---

Personally, I think the age of mechanical drives is gone. Wait six months and we'll start seeing the SSD's go down in price and increase in capacity. And to top it all off, I'd imagine they've only begun scratching the SSD performance surface yet.. and they're already in the lead!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

But its faster, quieter and runs cooler thus conserving electricity :p

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I still think the new Velociraptor is pretty underwhelming. I mean, 16 MB cache? Still 10k RPM? And why keep it at 300 GB max? And the move from 3'5" to 2'5" form factor..? That does NOT equal top performance! It just seems like they could have done so much more if only they hadn't decided to cater to two different potential consumer types at once.

I predict my next HD purchase will be a SSD.

They moved from 3,5 to 2,5 in order to fit the cooler, or so Ive heard.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

pf... At least they caused people to create a topic about a hard-drive. Not bad marketing if you ask me. The name is silly, of course: where do you think the raptor drives got their name from?

I wouldn't buy an SSD until I know for sure that their live-cycle even when full is long enough, which it wasn't when I was up to date with the tech background on flash memory...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I wouldn't buy an SSD until I know for sure that their live-cycle even when full is long enough, which it wasn't when I was up to date with the tech background on flash memory...

I don't know about you guys, but I never out-live my drives. I always upgrade to bigger (and faster) models before they have time to break. Life expectancy is rarely a problem.