Crash in Peragas

'lo all. wonderful to see that this game still has an active community...

anyway, right down to business. I've dug around on these forums a bit and I never did find a specific fix for this problem (although one of the general fixes may cover it).

while attempting to board the turbolift out of the peragas fuel depot after running through the harbinger, the game crashes back to the title menu and does not allow any key or mouse interaction with said menu. if i ctrl-alt-del close the program (which is the only option open as far as i can see) i do get a dialog box about quitting without saving before the game closes. i've tried to get around this crash doing all of the following:

set all video options to lowest/off settings

disabled movies

v-sync is off

disabled sound

reinstalled/repatched game

looked around in KSE for any workaround or corruption

reinstalled video and sound drivers

none of this changed the crash in any way. i've got a slightly older desktop (which has successfully run this game before - with no problem at this point as far as i can remember) with an FX5500 nvidia card and plenty of cpu/ram. does anyone have any ideas about a work around or spot patch for this bug? is it even a known bug, or have my files/savegame been corrupted somehow?

thanks in advance for your help

sorry for the double post, but i thought i'd save someone a lengthy reply:

i'm currently playing back through the peragas level (while not THAT long, still annoying to replay the same ridiculously easy 3 hours) on a new character, and i'm comparing KSE files. i found that the NPC save for T-3 seems to have been corrupted, but i have no idea how (i hadn't used KSE until the game crashed the first time). i'm not back up to the point where the wheels came off yet, but that seems to be the only plausible explanation. is this a common occurrence, and if so does it have an easy fix? thanks.

EDIT: yup. that was the issue. i didnt realize at the time that T-3 was supposed to rejoin the party there - it just said that i found him. i figured he would be repaired or something later. anyway, because of the bad character file he didnt display nor join the party, so when the game tried to load him after i used the turbo-lift it would crash.

so i guess this is a self-fix, unless anyone has any advice on keeping save files from being corrupted. i guess ill leave the posts up just in case anyone else has a similar problem at some point.

Edited by dukewilson

Using KSE can sometimes corrupt game saves. Also, the corruption might be due to your HD needing a bit of a clean-up and defragment; perhaps installing the game in a different directory might make things better if you keep on getting corrupted saves.

Using KSE can sometimes corrupt game saves. Also, the corruption might be due to your HD needing a bit of a clean-up and defragment; perhaps installing the game in a different directory might make things better if you keep on getting corrupted saves.

i had actually downloaded KSE after the crash to check the save files. i also regularly defrag. it seems to be a fluke, though, as it hasnt happened again to me...