Game not work with Dell XPS laptop 8700 GT SLI! HELP!

Hi,

Just installed the game on my nice new Dell XPS m1730 with dual Nvidia 8700 GTs in SLI. However, after installing the game it fails the hardward test saying that I need the latest nvidia generic detonator drivers to run. The program fails to open and shuts down. I try installing these generic nvidia drivers from www.nvidia.com but they will not recognise my graphics card and refuse to update it. So, I go to the dell website and download the latest drivers there. Still no luck running this program.

Anyone experienced this problem and/or have any suggestions?

Cheers

Honestly, I got a Dell latpop (Latitude D820) and I never managed to get the update the drivers on the Intel graphics card either! It wouldn't take the official Intel ones, nor the Dell update for some reason! I can't help anymore, maybe if you put your specs up, someone more familiar will be able to give you a hand at this.

I get my drivers from Laptopvideo2go but from what I understand is that SLI laptops need to have special drivers from the manufacture so I don't know if the just a moded INF will be enough. Now if you are wondering what an INF is when you install a driver into a computer the installing software will look at the INF (which has a list of approved graphics cards) and compare it to what is in your system. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also the reason that you need an moded INF is because NVIDIA does not openly support there mobile graphics cards the mod the desktop counterpart and sell it to the laptop manufacture.

Edited by mkg

I get my drivers from Laptopvideo2go but from what I understand is that SLI laptops need to have special drivers from the manufacture so I don't know if the just a moded INF will be enough. Now if you are wondering what an INF is when you install a driver into a computer the installing software will look at the INF (which has a list of approved graphics cards) and compare it to what is in your system. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also the reason that you need an moded INF is because NVIDIA does not openly support there mobile graphics cards the mod the desktop counterpart and sell it to the laptop manufacture.

Hi,

I did a bit more hunting around and it turns out the problem is nothing to do with the graphics card but the fact that this game does not work with Windows Vista. Damn! Although you can get it to work by dissabling the sound - but how sucky is that.

So look out for this game on ebay soon unless they can release an update to make it compatible. I did email lucasasrts about it last night but I doubt that is the first time they have heard of the problem and will actually fix it.

Thanks

Hi,

I did a bit more hunting around and it turns out the problem is nothing to do with the graphics card but the fact that this game does not work with Windows Vista. Damn! Although you can get it to work by dissabling the sound - but how sucky is that.

So look out for this game on ebay soon unless they can release an update to make it compatible. I did email lucasasrts about it last night but I doubt that is the first time they have heard of the problem and will actually fix it.

Thanks

People have got it to work with Vista, though it seems to be rather unpredictable, with some systems running it without a hitch and others experiencing more problems. Check out the FAQ here, particularly the Microsoft patches and the Creative Alchemy Project. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I can run the game in Vista. I will start it right now. Yep it still works. I did have to replace a file to get it to work Mss32.dll . I will give you step by step instructions .

1. Open my computer.

2. Double click your hard drive.

3. Double click Program Files.

4. Double click lucasarts.

5. Double click SWKOTOR2 (may be slightly different).

6. Drag the file Mss32.dll and drop it in here it will ask you if you want to replace the file click yes

This should make the game run. Hope it helps.

Edit: Also the sound does work.

Edited by mkg

It is a replacement for the the sound file that crashes the game. Also there is little to no chance that it will hurt your computer. Remember you need to put it only in the game directory not anywhere else. There is only the danger that you might have to reinstall the game.

Edited by mkg

Glad that it worked. I kinda feel stupid for not thinking it was the Mss32.dll earlier. Everyone has had that problem in Vista lol. In the faq they should say that anyone that uses Vista needs this file to run the game.

Edited by mkg