Cubicle 7 to produce Doctor Who roleplaying game

The Doctor Who News Page (formerly Gallifrey One, and a pretty reputable site) is reporting that Cubicle 7 is going to produce a roleplaying game based on Doctor Who. It's an interesting idea, and I want to know how they'll make it work, given that the Doctor doesn't really fight as such.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The Doctor Who News Page (formerly Gallifrey One, and a pretty reputable site) is reporting that Cubicle 7 is going to produce a roleplaying game based on Doctor Who. It's an interesting idea, and I want to know how they'll make it work, given that the Doctor doesn't really fight as such.

The rules we're using for the game promote promote the use of talking and thinking your way out of situations. Combat is very much a last resort (as you pointed out - in the series the Doctor rarely actually engages in a physical confrontation) and can be very deadly.

I'm sure Dave Chapman (the Line Developer for the Who RPG) will be posting more about various features on his Designer Blog (http://heartofthetardis.blogspot.com/) over the coming months and we'll also be extensively playtesting it with various groups around the world in the coming months.

Best wishes,

Angus Abranson

Cubicle 7 Ent.

London, UK

I'm not a PnPer, but I love Doctor Who! I'll be very interested in seeing the rules you come up with. If they're interesting enough, I may end buying my first ever rulebook.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

KICK ARSE!

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Comments on the Line Developer's blog referred to this as Dr Who RPG #3, so it would seem there's been two previous.

Wasn't there an old rpg based on this property, once upon a time?

Yep. It sported Tom Baker and Leela on the box. It was published by old FASA. I played a Galifreyan Technician in a campaign. He, um, wasn't a timelord but crashed a prototype TARDIS in 13th century Norway where the other characters were from. There was a later version simply called Timelord.

Hmm... I am very much looking forward to this. Been a fan of Doctor Who since before I was born.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I am wondering if they are going to take Torchwood into account.

From the Line Developer's blog (comments section):

Mostly Doctor and Companions as the default, though it doesn't stop you being Time Agents, Torchwood operatives, UNIT teams, independent investigators, or dressing gown wearing galactic hitch hikers... oh, that's another thing altogether...

But yeah, you can do anything you like...

Edit: And supposedly this RPG's license is mostly around the new series (Eccleston and Tennant).

Edited by Tale