KotOR & TSL on a Vista laptop...

Guest The Architect

Guest The Architect

Being how this TSLRP is only what, about three months away from completion, I'll sooner or later get the PC version of it, but there's just one problem. I've heard that many video games and Vista don't go well together. My laptop is a HP and it has Vista.

That's all I know about it. So I'm wondering if TSL would even work on my laptop or not, and if not, what can I do to make it work, if anything? Do I have to give more details about my laptop features or something first before anyone may be able to help me?

Same thing goes for KotOR. Even though I have the Xbox version of it, I wouldn't mind going through a play through of it on my laptop just to get used to and good with the controls, in preparation for TSL. Help me, and I'll love you forever, and have your babies, which is pretty much like winning the lottery, except of course, you'll still be an el cheapo.

Edited by The Architect

Ok first it will work on Vista but not out of the box there is a file ( here is a link ) that you need to replace after the game is installed (the problem is the way the audio is used in Vista is different than Xp). second what is your graphics card? How to find out is go to the Start menu, press run, type dxdiag click ok, {you may get a warning that it can crash your computer it wont though trust me} click on display and it will tell you what it is, then tell us the name and how much memory it has.

Edited by mkg

Laptops are a bit "iffy", mostly due to the graphics cards that come with them. Saying that, I got a new laptop in January that is "Vista-ready" (i.e. has a Core Duo and WinXP) and it has an Intel graphics card (and that's the most BASIC card you can get) and both games run with high settings, albeit there are a couple instances in KoTOR where you need to lower everything to progress in the game (Taris underworld in particular, where you recruit Mission). TSL runs fine all the way through after you install the update patches. Mine is a Dell Latitude D820, but I've read posts of other laptop owners who've had problems playing, particularly Sony Vaio's I believe. I believe the main issue with running the game on a laptop is the available hardware (gfx, ram, etc...) more than the OS.

Edited by refuse

Guest The Architect
Ok first it will work on Vista but not out of the box there is a file ( here is a link ) that you need to replace after the game is installed (the problem is the way the audio is used in Vista is different than Xp). second what is your graphics card? How to find out is go to the Start menu, press run, type dxdiag click ok, {you may get a warning that it can crash your computer it wont though trust me} click on display and it will tell you what it is, then tell us the name and how much memory it has.

Thanks for the link. That'll come in useful down the track. :shifty:

Well, I assume the graphics card details are on the "display" section of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool thing, so yeah, in that case, it's a NVDIA GeForce Go 7200 and it has 285 MB of memory.

Ok I found some info on the Geforce Go 7200 apparently the GPU is about on par with a ATI 9200se. Which I have used before and It will run kotor 2. The only thing I don't know is how high you will be able set the settings. My 9200se could run it at high settings but it some times would lag (turn into a slide show :lol: ) and I would have to turn it down to medium. Also I will give you my sources. GpuReview.com (sorry to say they did not have the 7200 on file but they had the 7300 and this site had a comeparsion with the 7200 and 7300 Notebookcheck.com )

Edited by mkg