Crash after I press game on Launcher

Hi. I'm trying to get KOTORII to run on my new Laptop

Windows Media Center Edition

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz

2GB Ram

Geforce GO 7600 256 MB Ram driver version 97.92

160 GB HD 5400 RPM

1680x1050 @ 59 Hz refresh rate

A fresh install of the game crashes when I hit "Game" on the launcher and gives me a prompt to send an error report to Microsoft.

Patching the game to version 1.0b has the same problem.

Clicking "Configure" from the launcher shows an interesting problem. There are no resolutions in the resolution drop down box, and the only refresh rate available to choose is 60 Hz, which is higher than my laptop goes (58 or 59 Hz).

I modified the .ini file to have a resolution of 800x600 and a 59 Hz refresh rate and set my laptop using the NVIDIA control center to 1280x1024, 1024x768, and 800x600.

Suggestions?

Edit: I apologize for the double post, I got a strange PHP error and it asked me to resubmit the form.

Edited by FalseLobster

Hullo, and welcome to the forums. :)

KotOR 2 has never been happy on laptops, as far as I can tell from what people post on these forums.

One thing you could try is this at the Widescreen Gamers website. If the screen's the problem, that might fix it or at least you might get some help from people there.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Thanks for the reply! o:)

The problem is clearly a result of my laptop display not being supported by KOTORII. I plugged my desktop monitor into my laptop and set it as my primary display and turned off my secondary display (my laptop's screen). The game happily recognized my monitor, providing a number of resolutions in the Configure part of the launcher (before, the resolution drop down in the launcher was empty--- no resolutions whatsoever) and it worked. I'll check out the website you provided and report on my progress.

Okay, so it appears that there is no way for widescreen to work with the latest KOTORII patch (1.0b) and I am willing to play the unpatched game using the UniWS to make it display widescreen.

I have patched the swkotor2.exe sucessfully with uniws, but it seems like KOTOR doesn't recognize my laptop display at all. In the "configure" section of the game launcher there are still no resolutions available for me to choose between.

How do I know the patch works? When I plug my laptop into my 1024x768 monitor for my desktop and set that as my primary display monitor and turn off my secondary display (my laptop's screen), the game launches and runs fine with the effects of the UniWS widescreen patch at this point, I can use the NVIDIA control panel to switch displays back to my laptop's screen and run the game fine, with widescreen.

My problem is I don't want to have to plug in to my desktop's monitor to run the game on my laptop.

Can anyone come up with a way to force KOTOR to launch without recognizing my laptop's display, or to get my laptop's display to be recognized? Alternatively, IS there a way to play the patched version on my widescreen laptop? How bad is KOTOR2 without the 1.0b patch?

Thanks in advance o:)

How bad is KOTOR2 without the 1.0b patch?

The only major problem I had with K2 without the patch was a tendancy for a glitch to appear on Telos that kept the party apart, but then I was using windows 98 at the time, which seemed to be much more stable when running most games, so I have no idea what glitches others might have found on other OS's.