Windows Vista Problem (Almost works)

Hello, I am new to the Obsidian forums and don't know if this particular problem has been solved for yet or addressed, so please bear with me:

I am currently running Windows Vista Home Premium on an HP DV6000 with 2.0 GB RAM and 140 GB hard drive. I have Mobile Intel ® 945 GM Express Chipset Family with ATI Display Drivers. I installed KOTOR II from the CD's no problem. Then, I configure the game to my PC settings. I click on "Game" and it starts up fine. I am able to at least customize my character and hit the "Play" button. The game loads, then takes me to the beginning movie. However, after that, the screen goes black and reads, "KOTOR II must close because it encountered a problem." Is there something I'm missing?

After the first time this happened I searched google to no avail. However, I did learn that there was a patch, v1.0b, that supposedly fixed some of the crashes that occured at certain points in the game. I mistakenly thought this patch could solve my problem. Even after installing the patch it crashes at the same time. Then I thought there might be something wrong with my graphics card but, unless I am mistaken, since I could customize my character without problems I should be able to play the game as well.

Is there anything that I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello, and welcome to the forums. :)

Your problem might be related to Vista or to how Kotor2 plays movies, as both have been known to cause problems. For Vista, I recommend you have a look at the FAQ and see if any of the fixes there work for you. You should also probably check the LucasArts Tech forum. For the movies, I can't remember all the problems and fixes, I'm afraid. A quick search yielded this, which might be worth a try. I'd suggest also doing a search for your video card etc. to see if others with the same components have found this problem.

I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Thanks for the link to the FAQ, but I had already searched it hoping for an answer earlier without any success. I appreciate the quick responses by everyone.

I did find the quick search you did interesting and helpful. However, there is an additional problem that I have just realized existed:

There would be certain times when the game would not even start after I had already played it just fine earlier. After some experimenting, I realized that the patch available for download that supposedly fixed major issues in the game had actually stopped Windows Vista from running the game entirely. After realizing this, I un-installed KOTOR II and re-installed it. Is there any way to incorporate the patch fixes without ending my hopes for ever playing the game? Is the patch even necessary?

Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

P.S. Darth Mortis, I did go to the LucasArts Tech support and read the different chipsets both supported and not supported with the game. The Intel GM 945 Family Chipset was not on the "un-supported" list I searched. However, I do not remember seeing it on the "supported" list either. Maybe that's the problem. Thank you.

Edited by Konchigo

Ok, there was someone on the link page the moderator sent me that said this:

"TO ALL WITH THE MOVIE BUG... THIS IT: THE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disable movies in window option... enter game, go to options, graphics, advanced graphics: switch anti-aliasing to 2x... exit game, reenter game and voila WINDOW MODE, exit game again go to configure and activate movies, reenter game and again voila: no more movie crash! I TESTED IT 18 times, it works like a charm and doesnt affect game performance and computer performance!!!"

I have 2 problems with this:

1) My game won't allow me to change the alias option. It says "Anti Aliasing Off" and won't let me do anything.

2) I can't change the game into a window mode.

Is there an alternative method to get the game into a window mode? If there is, would it help me here?

Also, for some reason now the game works, but only without sound. Any more help would be appreciated. Thank you.