Sentinel/Watchmen Build

Hello guys (and gals). I've been a loyal KOTOR fan for a few years now, having played through the first game about 5 times. I'm no stranger to building a solid character. Nonetheless, the second game is different, I'm noticing. I've lurked over the forums and dug up some old threads, and I've noticed that the attributes are given a little different importance with TSL. For instance, intelligence was rarely regarded as important in the first game (unless you were building a scout). I remember some of the strongest builds are the one's that balanced a robust dexterity bonus with great wisdom.

I've still retained a lot of those concepts, but alas, I need a little advice. I've played through TSL 1.5 times. The first was as meathead Guardian/Weaponmaster. THen I put the game down for awhile, started again, got 20 hours into the game, and it glitched out. There was a room I'd get stuck in after GOTO's ship, and it was locked from the outside. Meh. It was ****ed, and even when I went to a previous save several hours earlier (and tried to do everything by the books) it still glitched.

In any case, I'm ranting. I put the game down and got back to competitive online Madden (I know, a helluva departure from KOTOR :)). I don't want to have the damn game glitch again, but I'm hungry to play again.

Here's what I came up with for my main build for my Sentinel/Watchmen:

STR: 14

DEX: 10

CON: 14

WIS: 14

INT: 14

CHA: 12

My thought's here are that I'd like to have lots of skills, and still balance that with credible fighting skills. I'm usually a DEX guy (in KOTOR 1 those were my best characters) but if I go STR 14 I'll have an easier time being an effective fighter, and can save a feat.

I've already got cross-class feat for Repair.

How would you guys upgrade attributes? I've only really played the game once. What can I get with high CON (as far as implants)? What advantage does high INT give me? Where should I cap it? Should I continue to upgrade STR or WIS? I didn't think I would in the short term. What would you allot for skills? I want to be a skill-using, sneak-attack machine when it's all said and done, but still be able to use my persuade, security, computer and repair skills as well.

Also... does "Dominate Mind" still reflect the DS? That's something that always upset me about the first game. It's not always evil to control someone's mind (i.e. Obi-Wan ala "A New Hope").

And finally, I wish to use a single saber (maybe add a robust short one for the offhand) and I don't intend to get any Two-Weapon fighting or Dueling feats.

ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening to the rant. Thanks for still playing these great games.

If only BIOWARE steps up, takes back the franchise, and delivers a bangin' KOTOR III on next-gen. >_<

-Dave

There was a room I'd get stuck in after GOTO's ship, and it was locked from the outside. Meh. It was ****ed, and even when I went to a previous save several hours earlier (and tried to do everything by the books) it still glitched.

There is a solution to that in the FAQ thread on this board, just in case it happens again (or you still have the savegame in question).

As to the questions you had;

My thought's here are that I'd like to have lots of skills, and still balance that with credible fighting skills. I'm usually a DEX guy (in KOTOR 1 those were my best characters) but if I go STR 14 I'll have an easier time being an effective fighter, and can save a feat.

I'd be wary of having a sentinal with no dex bonus. Don't forget that Dex also affects your AC. With Guardians your higher HP can offset low AC, and consulars get a defense bonus anyway. With sentinals you get trapped between the two-you don't have the HP to take many hits, and lack the natural ability to avoid getting hit. If you want a lower than normal Dex look at a level of 12 (+1 bonus), then you can add extra Dex bonuses from some of the stealth belts you can find.

Btw, don't forget that their is a new feat called Lightsabre finesse that uses your Dex bonus rather than your strength. I like to go this way with Sentinals and Consulars as high dex means a higher chance to hitting with a sabre as well as increaseing AC-as long as you are using robes once your Dex mod gets over +4 (Dex of 18).

I've already got cross-class feat for Repair.

Thats well worth it since you can create better upgrades for yourself on Peragus. After that...I normally use someone else for making upgrades.

How would you guys upgrade attributes? Should I continue to upgrade STR or WIS?

If you are playing as a male exile go for wisdom. You can learn a new skill that will allow you to add your wisdom modifyer to your AC. (As well as making your force powers far more effective).

I've only really played the game once. What can I get with high CON (as far as implants)?

Mainly a load of crap. Most of the higher level implants (CON 18) are, frankly, not worth the effort of getting your CON to that level given that everything else will suffer and you won't get enough benifits to offset this. Also note that the minimum CON needed for implants does NOT include any bonuses given by items-it only includes the unmodifed number.

What advantage does high INT give me? Where should I cap it?

INT does three things; One is it increases the number of skill points you get during Level up. Second is that it (like most Stats) gives you a bonus for some skills. Third is that it can sometimes give you extra options during diologe, as well as extra options at other times. (Trust me, you'll discover this on Peragus >_< ) I normally cap it at 14, thats more than high enough and extra INT doesn't really help that much in the game as it is.

I didn't think I would in the short term. What would you allot for skills? I want to be a skill-using, sneak-attack machine when it's all said and done, but still be able to use my persuade, security, computer and repair skills as well.

Persude should be a must-considering that its the only ability that only the Exile has and can use. Other than that stealth sounds helpful. Its worth remembering that many of the other skills can be used by the other members of your party if you switch to them, and by the time your on your own you generally won't need to use skills. In practice a sercurity skill of four (including any stat bonuses) will open all but maybe three things-and then you can often use another party member to open the object for you. Demilitions is in the same boat-a skill of five will allow you to recover all the mines on Peragus, and after that you can get someone else to do it for you.

Skills that are helpful; Persude, awareness, computer, repair, first aid, stealth (if you want to do the sneek attack thing).

Also... does "Dominate Mind" still reflect the DS? That's something that always upset me about the first game. It's not always evil to control someone's mind (i.e. Obi-Wan ala "A New Hope").

No idea, its a totally useless power to get as you can cover most of the options with Persude skill and keep the extra force power for something else. I've never picked it or used it.

And finally, I wish to use a single saber (maybe add a robust short one for the offhand) and I don't intend to get any Two-Weapon fighting or Dueling feats.

You'll have trouble then with the harder fights. Fact is you just won't do enough damage or have a good chance of hitting with a sabre without a feat or two. Don't even think of adding a second weapon without two-weapon fighting-you'll incure a penalty to hit that is not offset by the extra damage you *might* do if you hit.....which you won't most of the time. If you intend to use only a single sabre then go for the dueling feats, which increases you're defence as well as your to-hit number, and don't try a second sabre (which negates the dueling feat). If you plan on using a small sabre in the off hand get at least the second level of two-weapon fighting.

I think *most* people would say that two lightsabres are better than one in the end, if only because you then can carry four crystals and six upgrades to increase stats to hit numbers etc. But you need two-weapon fighting to really make the most of them. Don't worry about losing Feats this way-as far as fighting goes the two best feats seem to be master Flurry and Critical strike.

Thanks for all the great info. I'm aware that 2 weapons is more potent, but I don't have any trouble with the game (even on hard) so I'm going oldschool. Also, I had heard from some FAQ that you don't really need to invest in the dueling feats, and that the penalty for a short lightsaber is less/not a big deal. Maybe this isn't true. In any case, I'm kinda stuck with the low DEX. I might pour a few points into it, but will focus the rest on WIS. Do you think it's worth bringing my CON up to 16? That was an attribute I didn't put any stock in for KOTOR 1. Are the implants just crap?

I'm kinda stuck with the low DEX. I might pour a few points into it

Another quick tip-most of the items you can find to increase DEX always increase it in odd numbers; +1, +3 etc. So if you have an odd DEX number wearing one of these items with even the DEX score out. Since only full even numbers in Stats grant any bonus you won't be wasting any points. (Eg; a DEX score of 14 would give you a +2 bonus to all abilities that relate to it-such as AC. A DEX score of 15 still gives you a +2 bonus. Just making that clear for anyone who hasn't worked that out).

Do you think it's worth bringing my CON up to 16? That was an attribute I didn't put any stock in for KOTOR 1. Are the implants just crap?

Yes, its worth that. There are some implants that require a CON of 16 that can be quite helpful (as well as the extra HP-think its 3 per level). Its the implants over this that are, by and large, not worth it. There are level 16 implants that can give +3 bonuses to some stats-such as strength and agility-that can be helpful.

I had heard from some FAQ that you don't really need to invest in the dueling feats, and that the penalty for a short lightsaber is less/not a big deal.

I guess it depends on your class-Guardiens can take more hits and Consulars are harder to hit anyway. With Sentinals I'd say that it is better to either have two weapons and create as much damage as you can as quickly as you can. Or to do something that makes you harder to hit (which dueling does). Given your low DEX I'd say getting the dueling feats might be a good idea, as it will make you somewhat harder to hit and offset your lower DEX score.

As to penities using two weapons without the TW feat? Off the top of my head I think the penalty for using a balanced weapon in the off hand is something like -8/-10 (Its -4/-6 with the first level of TW fighting). That is the kind of penalty you are unlikely to be able to make up through boosts and upgrades. (And upgrade bonuses for weapons only affect that weapon, not both of them).

Edited by Darth Mortis