Last buying round

Rosbjerg

Well I've bought myself a new computer (not the best, but dirt cheap).. following a lot of the sound advice I got from this forum.

Now all the remains is the power supply unit! I've been looking at the "NorthQ NQ-4775-400 Ultra Silent PSU" which delivers 400W with reduced noise (which I like), but I'm wondering if that's enough?

My com is a:

P4 650 3,4 Ghz

250 GB HDD

ASrock 4CoreDual-VSTA, MOBO

1gb DDR2 Ram

Geforce 7600 GT 256 mb.

My question is simple - how much W do I need for this humble build?

Fortune favors the bald.

Since the PSU is a very vital and future-safe part of the configuration, I'd suggest you spend a little extra on it. I would recommend a bZerk 500W.

It's extremely powerful and is sure to deliver those 500W for real. It has detachable wires so you won't have to assemble more than you need (good for the airflow in your case). It's also very silent (I have the more expensive version and the fan on it has never reached levels you can hear without putting your ear directly on the PSU) and great value for your money. It's actually pretty cheap, especially considering the quality of the build.

It might be a little difficult to find in stores though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Check this Power Calculator out Rosbjerg. It should give you a decent number. I would always get a bit higher wattage then what you need because not all power supplies are 100% efficient and you don't want to burn them out. Also for upgrades sake.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

according to the calculator (with every single device connected and running) I need a minimum of 352 W.. so 400 would do, but 500 would be on the safe side.

I checked the same place and was getting a much lower rating, but that's probably because I was missing a lot of stuff. >_<

according to the calculator (with every single device connected and running) I need a minimum of 352 W.. so 400 would do, but 500 would be on the safe side.

I checked the same place and was getting a much lower rating, but that's probably because I was missing a lot of stuff. :thumbsup:

I have some additional devices - like for instance a soundcard, some extra USB slots and an additional HDD.. Which all put together gave a higher needed value..

@Bok: The 1kW would cost me about half of what I paid for the entire computer - so I think I'll go with a cheaper 500W for now.

Since the PSU is a very vital and future-safe part of the configuration, I'd suggest you spend a little extra on it. I would recommend a bZerk 500W.

It's extremely powerful and is sure to deliver those 500W for real. It has detachable wires so you won't have to assemble more than you need (good for the airflow in your case). It's also very silent (I have the more expensive version and the fan on it has never reached levels you can hear without putting your ear directly on the PSU) and great value for your money. It's actually pretty cheap, especially considering the quality of the build.

It might be a little difficult to find in stores though.

I can't find it anywhere in Denmark .. what is the pricerange in Sweden?

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

you aren't factoring in the COST of the power: generally speaking more expensive PSUs have a higher efficiency ... you could easily save the extra cost of a GOOD 600W PSU in the first year of operation.

Remember: the PSU only draws what it needs, and a less efficient PSU will have to draw more AC from the mains (costing you more) to supply the same power to your precious innards.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I can't find it anywhere in Denmark .. what is the pricerange in Sweden?

It costs around 750-800 SEK. As a comparison: I paid 1200 SEK for my 600W PSU from the same factory as the bZerk.

you aren't factoring in the COST of the power: generally speaking more expensive PSUs have a higher efficiency ... you could easily save the extra cost of a GOOD 600W PSU in the first year of operation.

lucky me that electricity is included in my rent! :yes:

It costs around 750-800 SEK. As a comparison: I paid 1200 SEK for my 600W PSU from the same factory as the bZerk.

I'm going with a 520 W a friend recommended, which will cost me 550 DKK.

http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listprices.asp?ID=86560

Fortune favors the bald.

lucky me that electricity is included in my rent! :yes:

Environmental bandit! :)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

lucky me that electricity is included in my rent! :thumbsup:

Environmental bandit! :o

lucky us that a large procentage of the electricity made in Denmark comes from windmills.

Fortune favors the bald.

lucky me that electricity is included in my rent! :thumbsup:

Environmental bandit! :o

lucky us that a large procentage of the electricity made in Denmark comes from windmills.

I still expect you to get on your bike and repay all the wasted energy that your inefficient PSU is scoffing!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm going with a 520 W a friend recommended, which will cost me 550 DKK.

http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listprices.asp?ID=86560

Remember that just because someone writes 520W, it doesn't mean that it actually can produce that many watts peak. Also, make sure you have enough Amperes on each 12v and 5v rail. If I remember correctly, mine manages 530W on four 20A 12v rails (plus a 25A 5v rail and 24A 3.3v rail). That's guaranteed. Also, it has an almost 85% power efficiency so my Papst fan almost never has to work audibly (<20 dB).

There are a lot of hidden factors in a PSU that can be pretty difficult to get a grasp on. Which is why I usually read lots and lots of reviews on tech sites before I decide on a part like this..

There's just too much information these days.. But I'll remember that the next time I buy a computer.

It's just easier to rely on someone who spents every waking hour working with computers.

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.