Help with KOTOR2

Ok, i recently purchased the game for my little brother, and, after a few days of play, he kept complaining about running into apparently random crashes. So, i ran the updater and i now have Version 1.0b. However, when i try to run the game, the whole computer freezes up. I am forced to do a Hard Reboot of the computer to even get it working again, and the game will not work after multiple restarts. My drivers are fully updated and i do not believe that i am running it on an outdated computer. here are my specs, if it helps.

System: Windows XP Professional, 5.1 build 2600

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS, Version 1.10

Processer: Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz

Memory: 1022 MB RAM

DX Version: 9.0c

Video Driver: NVidia GeForce 6800

Anything i forgot, i can get it for you. I just want to get this game working again, preferably without deleting my Bro's save Files

Try uninstalling the game, reinstalling and updating before you play the game again. Don't worry about losing the save games-the uninstall program won't remove the save games unless you tell it to.

Ask if your brother was running any mods of any kind, if it was that might be why it was crashing. I've noticed this problem before-some mods can do strange things. (If he was running a mod chances are his save game is corrupted, and corrupted save games will crash KOTOR).

I've noticed some problems if you have anti-virus programs and firewalls running in the background, turn them off during play. It also a good idea to turn them off while installing the game. (Remembering, of course, to turn them back on before you update the game or connect to the net)

Check to make sure you have no spyware or viruses on the computer. (Use two anti-spyware programs one after another, what one misses the other should catch. Ad-Aware is a good anti-spyware program you can download, and its free).

Check the HD for errors, and made sure there is enough space on it for the game. Don't forget that many games use part of the HD during play as a form of tempory memory, so if the drive is full that might cause a crash.

Ask your brother where the crashes were taking place. If it was Dantooine it could just be that he was suffereing from a glitch that can occur there with GeForce cards. Look here for common problems and how to solve them.

Re-load older settings of windows, there should be a saved backup of all the windows settings somewhere on your PC-the windows help files will tell you how to do this.

Failing all that, and assuming you have the disk, you could always try reinstalling windows. This is the extreme way to try and get your PC working again. Installing windows on top of itself should solve any bootup issues, as the 'newer' version will overwrite the old. Note that this *SHOULD'NT* remove any programs or other information you have on the PC, as windows checks for installed software and will keep them-ie it should notice that you already have the graphics drivers on the computer and use them. I say *SHOULD* because windows can, sometimes, decide to do strange things for no reason. So I'd advise this only as a last resort, after you've backed up anything you don't want to lose-such as passwords and internet id's. I'd also ask you not to start shouting at me if it doesn't work or you lose stuff-I did warn you.