The Dwarf Fortress Thread

The.Donut

Since this is such a gem I thought I would devote an entire thread to it.

Now then, to those who do not know what it is Dwarf Fortress is an ASCI (or is it ASCII or ACSI...I don't know...) game. That means the graphics are pap (if you don't believe me look in page 18 of the Pictures of your games: revolutions thread). Now, I consider myself a graphics whore so that should tell you all something about the gameplay. It's addictive. It's fun. It's endlessly replayable. Who needs Real Life

Pap?! There's a suble beauty! It's nuanced!! Well, it's not for everybody. (Those dwarves are actually represented by little smilie faces. -> >_< )

Floodgates are kinda hard. I usually build a channel from the river outside and place a floodgate just inside the mountain.

.;.;.;.;.;.;.;.##

~~~~~~~X.;

;.;.;.;.;.;.;.;##

For this set up you'll need three mechanisms. One to construct the lever, and two to hook up the lever to the flood gate. Press the q key and select the lever you've built, and follow the menu to hook up the floodgate.

Here's what I did so far in my latest fortress.

post-1162-1156196364_thumb.jpg

Mountain river farming is more complex. From what I can tell you'll need twice as many of all the components. I don't use the mountain river to farm, but from what I understand you need to place the floodgates next to eachother XX beside the river, and hook each of them to levers. It seemed like a pain, and it takes quite a while to get to set up, so I've always opted for the method I've shown.

Falcon's Eye for this would be so awesome. It's like Dungeon Keeper Squared ffs!.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Thanks for the info Nart, I'll try to sort out this floodgate business. Also, is that a bridge over the channel you have created there? I haven't found a mountain river yet...how far do you have to go into the mountain to find one? Or is it random?

I'll be lucky if my current fortress survives through another winter. After the first winter my population went from 8 to 31 because of some damn immigrants. *shakes fist*

Also, Musopticon? what is Falcon's Eye?

You know Nethack, Donut? Well, Falcon' Eye(or nowadays Vulture's Eye) is a graphical extension to the engine that pretty much converts ASCII graphics to something akin to Siege of Avalon or Baldur's Gate. Looks very elaborate and fits the game.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Ohhh, that would be so cool for Dwarf Fortress Mus.

Oh and Nart, it seems my problem with floodgates was that when I went to pull the lever I didn't realise it was a capital p that I had to press :thumbsup:"

Unfortunately, after I found that out it flooded most of my fortress.

Have you ever tried siezing goods from merchants? I was so very tempted to sieze all the food the human merchants had because, at first, I didn't know how to trade properly with them.

Yeah, that's a bridge over my channel. My miner decided to climb out of the filling channel on the wrong side, so I built a bridge to rescue her. I suppose I should be glad she didn't try swimming up the channel and drown.

The mountain river is a random distance from the mountain face. Sometimes I hit it a single screen's worth of digging, somtimes it's three or four. When you hit it there's a very good chance the water will rush out and flood your fortress, so I'd recommend just making a single dwarf dig east until you hit it. Crocodiles, frogmen, and the like can invade your fortress from the river, so you'll need to harden the areas that access the mountain river.

Immigrants are a nuisance! The number of immigrants is tied to how large and how swanky your fortress is. The dwarven traders that drop by carry back tales of your success. To prevent this, I hook my trade depot to my irrigation system and drown the traders after they finish unloading their wares. Dead dwarves tell no tales.

EDIT: God, they wish I would merely seize their goods.

Edited by Nartwak

They'll get pissy, yeah, but national warfare isn't coded properly yet. :D Besides, as soon as I can I move all of my operations inside and shut the doors behind me. If they're cause too much ruckus the namby pamby humans can just camp outside with the zombie elephants* until they learn to behave! (Toady One didn't expect people to channel the river outside into the mountain, so he hadn't coded hazards for it. That's being worked on though.)

*Zombie Elephants are not available in some areas

:D :blink:

Zombie elephants are the new black!

kirottu said:

You know Nethack, Donut? Well, Falcon' Eye(or nowadays Vulture's Eye) is a graphical extension to the engine that pretty much converts ASCII graphics to something akin to Siege of Avalon or Baldur's Gate. Looks very elaborate and fits the game.

Heh, I thought you were talking about Falcon's Eye for a minute there.