5. J. Grahame Skillet

6. B. Seabrook Allan's Team

7. G. Murray flyfisher

8. S. Souray Rink Rats

9. K. Huselius drinkinbone

10. Ro. Regehr Chris' Warriors

11. D. Aebischer wha wha?

12. E. Nabokov Scorcher

I have to say, that's a totally different game than what I'm accustomed to playing.

how much time to you get to make each pick?

and Alfreddsson should have probably got picked over McCabe. Hahahaha

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

You get one minute, 30 seconds.

I don't disagree with Alfreddson probably being above McCabe, but in my roommate's experience, people that favour offensive defensemen tend to do better, as the number of points defensemen get drop rapidly compared to forwards.

You're also allowed a limited number of "games" at each position. You can only have 164 LW/C/RW/G games, and 328 Defensemen games.

This is because you have two active LW/C/RW/G slots, and 4 active D slots.

So you can sub guys in and out depending on whether they play a game that day, but if you're too aggressive with your substitutions, you might not be able to play a position later on in the season.

This is why there's a healthy mix in the draft, since you can't just draft the top point getters, since you won't be able to play them all the time.

So with McCabe, if the way he ended up drafting would have had him taking a defensemen with say 40 points (~30 less than McCabe) if he had taken Alfredsson, then he wouldn't have really gotten much of a net gain (assuming the rest of his players) with respect to points. McCabe also gets PP points, and PIM, which are two other categories you are rated in.

Having said that, Alfredsson is probably an elite enough of a player that it's probably best to go with him over McCabe.

I went for Lidstrom because he'll get huge minutes as always, and ample opportunity to get points. Fernandez was because I wanted a goalie that will play a lot, and put up impressive numbers.

This is my first time in a hockey pool so I just sort of played it by ear.

Edited by alanschu

I'd say your methodology sounds intact. That's pretty complicated. I can't say who I'd pick for d-men myself. Would you want a guy that's going to take a hit on plus minus or get more points on special teams.?

As a lark for my second pool entry I think I'll select your players as long as they don't conflict with each other.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

If you think you can get +/- elsewhere, it should probably work.

I think I'm a bit lacking in goal scoring, as well as goaltending (it sounds like Niittymaki will play, but he's going to get 3 cortisone shots during the season, and then get surgery in the offseason. So that could come back and kick me in the butt.

Maybe you should help selecting the remaining eleven boxes I have left. :ph34r: I had to choose between some players already. I picked Briere over Gionta, and Rolston over Lidstrom.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Nah, it's just straight points. The guy who came up with our pool figured it would be a lot easier for everyone to play, since you don't have to be a hockey guru to pick names from a box. This way we can fleece more rubes for a bigger pot. Although there is some decent prize money available (it's looking like another three hundred bucks + for teh winner) it's pretty much just a great way for people to interact at work.

As for Lidstrom, I figured that was pretty much a career year for him last season. Not that he's going to take a huge dip this season, I can't see him putting up those kinds of numbers again. And Rolston could snag more points with Demitra on the ice with him during the PP, I'd figure. Plus Rolston seems pretty adept at scoring shorthanded goals. He'll get a fair chunk of minutes for a forward.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Darn tootin'. Here's a few:

Box 1

Thornton

Jagr

Ovechkin

Heatley

Stall

Crosby

Kovalchuck

Alfreddsson

Savard

Stillman

Datsyuk

Marleau

Zetterburg

MacDonald (ana)

Scorcoff (w00t)

Lecavalier

Forsberg

H.Sedin

P. Bergeron

Recchi

McCabe

Iginla

Visnovsky

Kaberle

Weight

Gaborik

Satan

Doan

Yashin

Conroy

Knuble

Morrow

Kovalev

Vyborny

Sillinger

Brunette

Neidermeyer

Kotalik

Demitra

Jokinen

If you want the other four, let me know.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Haha the top ones are always quite hard. I'd definitely go with one of Thornton/Jagr in the top one. Probably Thornton, as he seems to have more support around him and excellent chemistry with Cheechoo.

#2 would be Crosby. I wouldn't be surprised to see him improve upon his point totals, especially if Gonchar plays like he did at the end of last season, and if Malkin isn't out for too long (they may get PP time together, as well as Malkin will provide an additional scoring threat for opponents to key on, rather than just Crosby).

#5 has the homer in me wanting to pick Horcoff. Zetterburg may be good, but at the same time Detroit's lineup seems less offensive than last year. Excellent player though. Though I'd probably pick Marleau. He'll face weaker competition because of Thornton's presence, and will still get his fair share of icetime both at ES and on the PP.

#10 well, he probably will get hurt, but if he doesn't, Forsberg is a steal. Plays well with Knuble and Gagne. I don't know if I cannot pick Forsberg. If you get lucky and he plays most of the season, he should destroy everyone else in that box. Otherwise, I think Sedin is a darkhorse. Plays well with his brother, and the word on the street is that they'll see lots of time with Naslund this year (and probably both on the PP and at ES).

#13 Well, Iggy is good, but he's on a defensive team. But he has a new linemate in Tanguay. I don't know if it will be enough to get him back to his Art Ross winning numbers. McCabe might be a better bet, as he seems to be the go to offensive defensemen in Toronto, and has a good partner in Kaberle. On the other hand, Visnovsky seems to be getting better. This is a hard box. I think Iginla stands the best chance of breaking away from the rest. While his career has put him usually in the 60-70 point range, he has shown he can put up huge numbers. If things click for him and he gets going with Tanguay, I'd say he stands the best chance to breakout. Otherwise, it's probably a safer box as most players will score around each other.

#14 is probably Gaborik. As far as I know, he does not have a contract discussion, and he'll be playing with Demitra as well. He'll get the big minutes and will probably score quite a bit, even in defensive minnesota.

#15 if Forsberg is healthy, Knuble will probably score a lot. Vyborny would probably be a good one as well, as he has some offensive talent around him. This one was a tough one.

#16 I'd go with Demitra. I have a good (bad) feeling that he and Gaborik are going to play really well.

Well,, nearly four hours to the dot later I've finished entering all 56 of the entries for my hockey pool. Only one player out of one hundred was completely ignored. That honor goes to the Rangers' Matt Cullen.

Let's go Wednesday!! Let's Go!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Here is the list, Alan.

Only two more sleeps to go!! Aside from a brutal Sportsnet hockey preview ( the Oilers coverage was mostly talking about Pronger, with nary a mention of new additions Lupul and Sykora) which was barely entertaining except for the barbs Ray Ferarro ( who gained a notch of respect tonight, finally IMO) would shoot at Nick Kypreos. John Garret doesn't seem to be on the same page as reality, and Bill Watters, well , is former Toronto GM Bill Watters.

And while I like TSN's coverage, barring Pierre 'he's a monster warrior/hitter/performer' MacGuire, the addition of Tie Domi could make things go downhill. Fast.

So I guess it's Cabbie On The Street ( I'm with my man D!) and the crew from the Score getting my nod as highlight favorites. Their ticker is topnotch, and the only thing really sucking is they took away the game night features where they used air viewer choices for which games would get the most live coverage. That way you could watch ten minutes of a period and highlights from the most popular game, which wasn't always Toronto or Ottawa.

edit: my linky doesn' work, so here's my twenty picks:

Thornton, Crosby, Richards, Marleau, Gomez, Rolston, Sundin, Hemsky, Forsberg ( crosses fingers and sacrifices a small animal) , D. Sedin, Iginla, Gaborik, Knuble, Demitra , Marty St.Louis ( every year it takes me at least ten minutes to figure out how to accept St.Louis, for you enter last names and then widdle down the player from another list except for Martin you just enter St. and that's the only way he's entered. as St.L, St-Louis and StLou comes back unrecognizable), Erik Cole ( who would be a huge steal if nearly everyone didn't pick him), Hejduk and finally my main man Sergei Gonchar.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Hahaha, yeah, that Sportsnet preview was god awful.

EDIT:

Link didn't work.

ANd I agree, the Score is awesome. They're playoff postgame shows were far and away the best I had ever seen.

Edited by alanschu

Usually I'm not too quick on the draw, but I did get that one in quickly.

It looks like LouLou has been the busiest GM in the league during the last week. What with asskissing to the league to get Mogilny put on the long term IR and all that hubbub about his big 'trade' with SJ to get himself under the cap.

We're so close to the start of the regular season I can smell it. Smell it I tell you!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I don't put too much faith in any sportscasters, but the clips were much better than the verbal diaherra that occured yesterday on the Sportsnet show.

Doesn't anyone else think it would be more entertaining to listen to an ex-player who isn't a punch drunk fool nowadays? Mercilessly Tie Domi wasn't half as bad as Kypreos was last night, but I'll admit it was a trifle funny hearing the others laugh at him when he kept talking after he said something along the lines of 'That's all I gotta say about that'. Keep on rocking in the free world, Tie!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

And you should pick up todays edition of the Edmonton Sun, Alan. It has a whopping 56 page NHL / Oilers preview.

Of course I absolutely detest the Suns' new layout, but I'll forgive it for the hockey coverage alone.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

The season is off to a great start as Toronto loses to Ottawa :(

Daniel Briere also nets a GWG for my pool (funny, because he has 0 goals as it was a SO GWG :p), as well as 4 PIM. Other active players are Zubov and Theodore.