What is good about Gothic 2 ?

5 bucks or less? probably.

I'm still not sure about it though... but then I'm getting kinda tired of fantasy games.

Gimme more games with vampires and werewolves and flamethrowers  (w00t)

I would think once werewolves and vampires are brought in, you're suddenly part of fantasy :("

Why stop there? Why not say that a game that has any element that cannot be found in reality must also fit the "fantasy" genre? I mean, Star Trek? Fantasy. Foundation? Fantasy. Hell, even stuff that anticipates the future is fantasy, right?

The term fantasy has much more to do with setting than it does with individual elements. Otherwise, a Harlequin romance with a vampire main character becomes a fantasy novel. In reality, unless we're talking a different kind of fantasy, romance is a separate genre, even when it borrows elements from other genres.

Werewolves are part and parcel of horror, but readers can easily find these werewolves in a fantasy novel. So, no, Hades, placing supernatural elements in a novel does not, in and of itself, make a game fantasy.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Why stop there?  Why not say that a game that has any element that cannot be found in reality must also fit the "fantasy" genre?  I mean, Star Trek?  Fantasy.  Foundation?  Fantasy.  Hell, even stuff that anticipates the future is fantasy, right?

The term fantasy has much more to do with setting than it does with individual elements.  Otherwise, a Harlequin romance with a vampire main character becomes a fantasy novel.  In reality, unless we're talking a different kind of fantasy, romance is a separate genre, even when it borrows elements from other genres.

Werewolves are part and parcel of horror, but readers can easily find these werewolves in a fantasy novel.  So, no, Hades, placing supernatural elements in a novel does not, in and of itself, make a game fantasy.

Wrong again eldar. Its not about any element, but elements that could not possibly exist without a supernatural or magical base. Werewolves are part of fantasy, and stretches into horror in how it is depicted. The aspects of Star Trek are theoretical and during the day it was first envision, was a technologically a possibility while supernatural vampires are impossible to exist.

The problems with many science fiction novels and stories is that they focus too much on the fiction and not enough on the science, but that is a different discussion altogether.

Bottomline if a game, novel, movie, or whatever has supernatural elements that are an impossibility it is fantasy. How that fantasy is portrayed, may that emphasis be generic, horror, romance, space opera, whatever does not change the fact that it is still fantasy.

Edited by Judge Hades

I think that it escapes Darque that when you place the supernatural in a game it automatically becomes fantasy regardless if it has modern aspects to it.

Meaningless discussion about semantics ohoy!! :ermm:)

But seriously, Hades. For the overwhelming majority, fantasy means swordplay, dragons and magic in a pseudo-medieval world. It doesnt matter that youve got this neat academic definition, because the mob rules.

Dungeons&Dragons - Fantasy

LotR - Fantasy

Word of Warcraft

All that crap with wheels of time and enchanters and Conan and crap - Fantasy

Vampire the Masquerade - Not fantasy

Star Wars - Not fantasy

Dune - not fantasy

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think that it escapes Darque that when you place the supernatural in a game it automatically becomes fantasy regardless if it has modern aspects to it.

Meaningless discussion about semantics ohoy!! :devil:)

But seriously, Hades. For the overwhelming majority, fantasy means swordplay, dragons and magic in a pseudo-medieval world. It doesnt matter that youve got this neat academic definition, because the mob rules.

Dungeons&Dragons - Fantasy

LotR - Fantasy

Word of Warcraft

All that crap with wheels of time and enchanters and Conan and crap - Fantasy

Vampire the Masquerade - Not fantasy

Star Wars - Not fantasy

Dune - not fantasy

VtM is a tough one to place in a genre. It has fantasy beings (vampires) but its set in a modern time.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

While I'm sure you'd like me to bow before your superior intellect and analytical approach, I simply won't. There is no real difference between science fiction and fantasy other than setting. Star Trek is a fantasy. Even fiction with a more scientific bent is only science inasmuch as it uses real science. The moment it deviates from established reality, it goes into fiction mode.

Why do we have different elements of fiction in the first place? To make it easier to go into a store and choose a book? Because the human mind works by separating similar items into different categories? I dunno.

What I do know is that your claim of greater insight or your profession of a better analytical approach is unconvincing. Really, it boils down to the same old business of some person trying to force others to buy in to his particular vision. Well, Hades, your vision is blurred.

While I think it's flawed, I'll take the bookstore's categories over yours. After all, Orson Scott Card's books, with all their mystical and supernatural references, still end up in Science Fiction all the time. That's because, individual elements aren't the last word on any genre.

EDIT: Got Orson mixed up with his character, Andrew for a moment.

Edited by Eldar

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

My point is that we create genres to make it easier to find a book. Star Trek might as well be fantasy for all the pseudo-science crap we find in it, but it falls into the science fiction category.

In fact, you still see a lot of bookstores that have a single Fantasy/Science Fiction area.

Obsidian Plays

Noun: genre zhaanru

A class of art (or artistic endeavour) having a characteristic form or technique

Characteristics:

Fantasy: medievalism, magic, swordfighting

Sci-fi: technology, space, alien species

Western: southwest america, cowboys & indians

Horror: monsters, murders and ghosts

Genres as an idea are defined by the public, thus the public definition of a genre is the correct one.

VtM is a tough one to place in a genre. It has fantasy beings (vampires) but its set in a modern time.

The modern vampire was invented in the late 1800s, it is a creature of victorian horror, not fantasy in any way (even though most fantasy games have their version of vampires)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I can accept that, Kaftan.

*shrug* Okay, alan. It's no great sin to be mistaken. However, I'd like to know how far you push this "supernatural" business. Does this mean that horror does not exist as a genre because you and Hades share a patented "analytical approach?" hahaha

Edited by Eldar

Obsidian Plays

I'm going to have to agree with Hades on this one.

You'd be wrong also then :devil:

Just because something has something that supposedly doesn't exist in the real world doesn't make it fantasy.

If it did, any work of fiction would be fantasy regardless of setting.

Raiders of the Lost Arc: Fantasy

Da Vinci Code: Fantasy

Spaggetti Westerns: Fantasy

LOST: Fantasy

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Fantasy

Fallout: Fantasy