High Quality Movies play at 640x480

I just installed the High Quality Movies and Music patches and am not getting any better than before. The movies still run in 640x480 and I can't tell for sure, but the sound doesn't seem any better. I know the patch was installed - the actual files in the movies directory took a big size jump, but everything is still at 640x480. I've tried various resoultions in game and changing the [Display Options] part of swkotor2.ini, but nothing works.

I searched here and someone said they require 1600x1200 and won't scale, but that doesn't make a bit of sense - I'm not above 640x480 and they must be scaling (or else I have 3 times as big copies of the exact same thing).

Any suggestions?

Dont forget that the HQ Movies patch ISNT all its cranked up to be. All they do is show them at 1600x1200 resolution instead of 640x480. There is no Anti Aliasisng or anything else going on. I play at 1280x1024, and I notice most of them are a bit better, tho the one with the Harbinger and the 3 Sith lords always look rubbish. I only have the patches because I have Broadband and the space for them :D.

I believe if you search through the forums, there was an article which did an extensive review of the Music and Movies Patches, and most people agree that the Music patch is worth more than the Movies patch.

EDIT: If you replaced the original movies with the HQ Movies, then it should play HQ Movies. Dont expect a breakthrough in the movie quality with this patch.

Edited by aerowars617

EDIT: If you replaced the original movies with the HQ Movies, then it should play HQ Movies. Dont expect a breakthrough in the movie quality with this patch.

That's just the thing - It doesn't play the new ones (I can tell for sure in my monitor's menu - it shows the current resoultion). But.. If the quality jump isn't too good anyways, I'll probably just ditch the "patched" ones, as they are taking more space.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

maybe you have to restart the game or something. or perhaps after you install the game you should install the patches, then try playing

Nae, it should work when you 1st put them in the folder. But seriously, I can hardly tell a difference in that Harbinger one, they both look aweful.

As to the scaling, what resolution are you actually playing at? If you are playing at 640x480, then it souldnt make a difference, as it will be scaling the 1600x1200 resolution to the lower one, making the patch useless.

If you want a good review of the Media Patches to see if you think its worth it, here is a very detailed mini review

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=37861

Edited by aerowars617

As to the scaling, what resolution are you actually playing at? If you are playing at 640x480, then it souldnt make a difference, as it will be scaling the 1600x1200 resolution to the lower one, making the patch useless.

If you want a good review of the Media Patches to see if you think its worth it, here is a very detailed mini review

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=37861

I'm playing it at 1280 x 1024. I know that's kind of a "weird" LCD resoultion, some games don't support it, so I've also tried 1024x768 and 800x600. 1280x1024 is native though, so I can't try any higher.

If the movies are seriously 1600x1200, how many people can actually get that? Besides the monitor size, you'd have to have a pretty good video card.

The movies sound a bit better, but it seems like I would have to upgrade my monitor (and video card probably too), which isn't worth it.