Been to my first Game Developers Conference

Ever heard of G.O.D. Games...?

Let's just keep it at "broke"...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The point of distributing games online(our way) is to eliminate as much of the cost and hassle of distribution as possible. Sure, having a CD and a nice box to put on the shelf is great but if we didnt do that, youd be able to buy games at 60% of the cost and most of that money would go directly to the developer.

I wouldn't be able to buy games at all. :)

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

You would, eventually. And don't think that some entrepreneur won't notice a gap in the market, and package new games onto DVDs for those who don't have an internet connection yet.

or what I was actually talking about:

3) A cooperative of developers band together in a joint effort to start a system for selling and distribtuing their and others games online and charging only as much as it takes to keep the service running. Thus, customers sadly does not get a nice box and a disc but instead they pay much less and most of the money they pay go to the developer of the game they bought.

Good.

This would bring a lot of much needed structure to the development cycle. A lot of games are written for common engines, like Unreal Tournament, so it can work.

What is needed is a set of standards (naming, for a start), version control with Check-In / Check-Out, etc.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Not to knock off Steam and other Direct Download ideas but when I spend money I like to have something tangible like discs, a manual, and the such.  Call me old fashion but it is one of the things I look for in a game.

You are old fashioned. :D

And if your comp crashes, than you're screwed.

No, you're not.

I have a question, if burning patches to a CD for transportation is so bloody convenient, why is burning the files acquired from a direct download just inconceivable?

Edited by alanschu

Could be defense systems forcing you to DL a new copy with a fresh key in order to install it on another PC, because you really cannot use one and the same twice?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

No. It's because people have conveniently ignored it. (i.e. it isn't inconceivable, but the people against downloadable content continue to cite "hardcopies" and getting "screwed over" as reasons).

Edited by alanschu

Just read (UK PC Format 187, pp46-9) about what the Bohemians in the Czech Repubic are doing with their big IDeA ... basically streamlining all the independent developers into a lean, development process (where excess capacity is applied as and when needed to whatever project in the collective) and a unifed and standardized corporate front, as well.

Sounds brilliant.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think the idea of dev selling their own game is great and could work!

You got a link to a group that is trying to achieve this (an actual project/forum)?

Im afraid that what is happening, is largely happening off the net or is confined to private forums and channels. What I think you should do is send an email to info@thedebates.org and ask them. If youre lucky you might get a chance to follow the June 6-7th debate via streamed video.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Communism for game-designers.

Sounds amazing in concept, flaws when executed...

^

See Metadigitals post. Latest one on the previous page.

For Mother Russia, comrads alanschu and Jack_Wellington :p"

^

It sound an awfull lot (like 100% resemblance) to the Russian Sovchoz and Kovchoz (or how you spell it) and we all know how "well" that turned out, eh?

And they even do it in a Ex-USSR country... :lol:"

If Meta thinks it is good he is no doubt a commie and should be shot :)

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

As I said, based on what? You said:

Communism for game-designers.

Sounds amazing in concept, flaws when executed...

What are you basing this comment on? Because the Soviet Union as a Communist state didn't work? You're talking about Communism for game-designers, and how it doesn't work. Based on the Sovchoz and Kovchoz. And you referred me to Metadigitals post, which certainly did not have any indications as to why it is flawed when executed.

Yes but Metadigital say it is good! What is the flaw? (also I have no idea how I can get this magazine in Quebec... is there a link to the article?)

Um, here is their website (although it still shows last issue, 186).

Here is the subscription page.

I may transcribe some of the article here, if I get time.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It sound an awfull lot (like 100% resemblance) to the Russian Sovchoz and Kovchoz (or how you spell it) and we all know how "well" that turned out, eh?

It is spelled kolkhoz and sovkhoz and no, there is no 100% resemblance, about 20-30%.

However you are right on one point, I too can't imagine how the proposed structure would work in practice.

People that are part of that project or a very similar one were at the Conference actually. From what the explained, its simply a question of starting an effective way for smaller indie development teams to cooperate in order to make a much bigger game that what one team could do by themselves.

it works like this:

You have three programmers in D

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Was replying on Metadigital's post... NOT your proposition. They seem like 2 very different things to me...

^

Just read (UK PC Format 187, pp46-9) about what the Bohemians in the Czech Repubic are doing with their big IDeA ... basically streamlining all the independent developers into a lean, development process (where excess capacity is applied as and when needed to whatever project in the collective) and a unifed and standardized corporate front, as well.

That was what I meant too, although Im not sure if the people I heard were going to put up a unified corporate front. Makes sense, though.

And note that its not the goverment taking over all the devs in.. Czhech-land, its a bunch of indie devs grouping together under one flag. Actually thats how the capitalist cornerstone of Corporations were born, from joint ventures like these.