notebook with dual core and ATI Mobility Radeon 96

Hello, I am brand new to the forum and it looks as if there have been some similar threads but I can't find a situation match or a solution so here goes: I have a notebook computer so Lucas Arts won't help me, they say laptops are not supported so I'm outta luck. I played KOTR 1 just fine but KOTR2 has big probs. At first I would see the opening movie and then blackness. Ctl Alt Del said the game had stopped responding. When I selected end program and dropped back to windows my task bar was missing and I had to ctl alt del again to restart. I then tried the game at lowest graphic options possible and was rewarded with access to the prologue. I played the entire prologue and even upped the graphics in game and it played just fine, auto saves cut scenes etc. but when I went to travel to Peragus Mining colony the game played the transit movie and then went black again. I was able to skip this problem by selecting "skip prologue" in the ****pit. The game then began the Peragus level just fine. I played the entire level and then when it was time to travel to the next world "Telos" I believe it happened again. no ammount of graphic quality will allow me to continue. I keep getting black screen/game stops responding. I have a 1.5 yr old HP Pavillion laptop with a duall core processor and a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600. I have tried all driver updates and running without sound. The first level was awesome and I'm bummed I can't go further, please help. Thanks