Black screen problem

Ashen

Hi!

When I run the game, the intro vids run normally and then bam, black screen, I can hear the audio but no video. I tried patching the game, it won't do it, either manually or auto. This is the report from the config utility:

[EDIT: The patch finally (!!!) got installed but did not solve this issue]

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=12/28/2005 9:34:18 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=E:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 1

Service Pack=Service Pack 1

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=768

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2043

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=12

CPUStepping=0

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=1.64GB

E: (NTFS), UNICODE=15.95GB

G: (NTFS), UNICODE=7.06GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\,F:\,H:\,I:\

Drives=HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8523B,HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B

[Video]

Video Card Name=RADEON 9800 PRO

Video Memory=128

Desktop Resolution=1024x768x32 @ 75Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=1.5.4332 WinXP Release

OpenGL Vendor=ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Renderer=RADEON 9800 Pro x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Vid Card Status=Pass

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA

Edited by Ashen

I'm not a tech person so can't be of help...but from other threads I know there's some catalyst driver issues with radeon+kotor, ie it works best with certain ones.

If you think that's a likely possibility, do a search or three, there's been quite a few threads of catalyst discussion.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ah thanks for that tip! Well from what I can see there is no solution, considering I already did most of those things they suggest as possible help. Lovely. Is there a game that's got more bugs than this one?!

Try updating your drivers as LadyCrimson already said.

I had the same problems yesterday with my Radeon Mobile 9700.

Luckily ATI finally offers drivers for their Notebook CPUs ... so after a driver update everything works fine now...

Well... just the videos, when called ingame, are shown too small in the upper left corner of my Windows Desktop now ....

The other possibility to somewhat solve the problem would be to deactivate the videos completely in the setup menu ... but that would be the last option for me :thumbsup:

That's just it, they are updated, yesterday after LadyCrimson mentioned it. I tried going back to the old ones, didn't work, so now I am back to my newest ones. The thing is, I asked around, it seems a lot of people have/had this problem and there is no unique solutions. What works for one person, may not work for another ie me. It does seem that I will have to disable the movies. Bah. Thank you anyway!

Ok, I solved it by turning the movies off. It works and the game runs fine now. Not what I wanted, ruins it really, but there seems no other way around it.

nehe32 - you can try the upper solution, it worked for me, but also get the patch too, it makes it easier to play.