IQ test, anyone know of a free online one...

kumquatq3

The only good these kind of tests are for is training you in these particular kind of symbols or matmatical problems..

I think Howard Gardner has got the right idea in his theory of multiple intelligences! and that intelligence is a much more vibrant and flexible size than mere logic and recognition of patterns.. as well as subgroups of different intelligences overlapping each other thus forming the actual "intelligence" of a person .. I think the smartest people are those who can use their strenghts to compensate or enforce for their weaknesses .. and develop their mind as a whole!

Fortune favors the bald.

So IQ tests, then, are essentially trying to measure one's ability at problem solving?

well, yes and no. pattern recognition is the heart of problem solving. that's what IQ measures. it's kinda like an ability to "see" the answer. it is unexplainable in any other terms, IMO.

But I think they have about as much merit as 'personality' tests....

in some cases, you are pretty spot on.

there is a difference in someone that can turn in a high IQ and a normal IQ person. really, there is a "why can't you understand this!" sort of difference. they relate to others differently, and it shows.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I think Howard Gardner has got the right idea in his theory of multiple intelligences! and that intelligence is a much more vibrant and flexible size than mere logic and recognition of patterns.. as well as subgroups of different intelligences overlapping each other thus forming the actual "intelligence" of a person .. I think the smartest people are those who can use their strenghts to compensate or enforce for their weaknesses .. and develop their mind as a whole!

the concept of "multiple intelligences" is not based on anything other than gardner's suppositions. i'll find the links where this is debunked, though i'd leave it up to readers to determine validity. i don't have enough study in this area to formulate a valid opinion (yet).

in general, most high IQ experts i've read about tend to think that there really is only one type of intelligence, and the spread among differing ideas is motivated by self-interest. i.e. those with a high IQ in one area (assuming the multiple intelligence idea) really simply have a high IQ and just happen to prefer that one area.

taks

btw, from an interview with paul cooijman (founder of triple 9 society, glia society, et. al. and a member of mega, which puts his IQ >176)

...it should be established through research up to what level intelligence is validly measurable; in other words, if special high-range tests are meaningful or not. We know through past research that really all correlates and criteria concerning IQ have a far stronger effect in the lower regions, and become less relevant the higher you go.

in other words, at the high end of the scale, it is not known what differences there are. that means they still don't understand if there is truly a measurable difference between 140 and 180 and if there it, what impact it has on learning ability. most online tests are good at identifying middle ranges (100 +/-20 or 30), but start to fall apart after that.

taks