1GB Mushkin DDR 400

Epox nForce 4 [6.70 drivers]

GeForce 7800 GTX [81.85 WHQL drivers]

Creative X-Fi Music edition

...seems to be pwned by this:

xbox.gif

manthing2.jpg

Uh what ?

I don't get that somehow equates to the fact that I built myself a decent computer which is used not only just for games but work as well :p

Anyhow if anyone has this game and has been able to run it fine with no issues on a dual core CPU whether it be AMD or Intel I'd really like to know thanks (or has a solution to get around the black screen anomaly when using the runfirst utility I've seen references to ATI graphics cards having this problem but not Nvidia ones as the game displays fine just with stuttering if I run it normally through the launcher or the swkotor2.exe).

Edited by Ronin2

Well it's the first game that has given this problem up until this point I had not ever come across this stuttering issue and at least one other poster with an Athlon 64 X2 had the same problem plus KOTOR 1 ran just fine (out of curiosity I reinstalled it to see what happens).

After some more tweaking I found that disabling sound altogether gives a marked improvement almost to point were you dont notice any stuttering at all (it's still their just a very small bit) and this is running with max details for everything in game plus max AA & AF, I've tried all the various sound settings available in game but none bar disabling the sound altogether seem to make any difference (I have tested the game with all the extra eye candy turned off & it still stutters).

I'd rather play the game with sound so I'm not sure what to do could it be some sort of threading/affinity issue with the sound libaries in game/sound drivers and a dual core CPU ???

If I cant figure this out I guess I will just have to try and find something else to play the game on :p

Update your sound card drivers to the latest available version (or wait until the apparition of a new driver version), maybe that will help resolv your problems, because it seems that these are generated by your sound card / sound card drivers.

Thanks for the suggestion but I already had installed the latest drivers after I installed the OS. It maybe sound related but like I said the stuttering is still slightly present even with sound disabled it seems enabling sound merely aggravates the problem.

Oh well, have an old laptop that I will install it on and see how it plays seeing as that

Ronin2, other than the RAM I have exactly the same system as you, and the same problem caused by swkotor2.exe taking 100% CPU (hence horrible performance/stuttering).

The only solution I have found to this is to revert to a non series 80 graphics driver. In my case I tried 77.77 and KOTOR2 ran fine, but both 81.85 and 81.87 caused huge slowdown (almost software rendering speed!)

Nvidia claimed that these series 80 drivers gave performance increases to dual core users, but in this case it does not seem to agree with this game. I assume that they have threaded the drivers and this game is calling the drivers in such a way that the threads are competing with each other rather than working concurrently.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Laze

• 1 month later...

it's a dual core issue 100% (as in it uses 100% of both CPU's)

i have:

AMD Athlon64 x2 4200+

Asus nForce4 Ultra

BFG GeForce 7800GTX

2GB OCZ DDR400 Platinum

Creative X-Fi

on my Logitech G15 keyboard, it has a monitor for CPU/RAM, and it montiors each core seperately, and when this game loads, it uses 100% of both CPU's. so it's definately an issue with the dual core, and it seems that a lot of poorly written games cannot support modern systems. i have no issues with newer games such as Civ4, WoW, AoE3, or Dungeon Siege II.

plus the game doesn't support widescreen, which is a shame, all 3D non-sprite games should support various resolutions, such as 1920x1200 (my default).

Anyone else have trouble with KOTOR2 and a dual core CPU ?

[sNIP]

System;

Athlon 64 X2 4400+

1GB Mushkin DDR 400

Epox nForce 4 [6.70 drivers]

GeForce 7800 GTX [81.85 WHQL drivers]

Creative X-Fi Music edition

[sNIP]

Are you able to try it with some other sound card? The X-Fi is known to be problematic with games. (That's typical for a new generation Creative product.)

Edited by FortranDragon

Just got a X2 3800+ and I see some studdering but also blank screens.  Alt-tabbing from Windows back to KOTOR seems to fix the problem.

alt+tabbing will fix the blank screen, but it doesn't fix the 100% CPU usage with dual core, which is the cause for the stuttering. the game just wasn't programmed properly, as i've tried much older games that have no problem with the dual core. obviously, something in the way they coded it was done in such a way as to cause problems, and most likely, it cannot be fixed.

Just got a X2 3800+ and I see some studdering but also blank screens.  Alt-tabbing from Windows back to KOTOR seems to fix the problem.

alt+tabbing will fix the blank screen, but it doesn't fix the 100% CPU usage with dual core, which is the cause for the stuttering. the game just wasn't programmed properly, as i've tried much older games that have no problem with the dual core. obviously, something in the way they coded it was done in such a way as to cause problems, and most likely, it cannot be fixed.

Actually it is a NVIDIA driver issue. Check the NV forums. This issue is caused by the release 80 Drivers with the Dual Core Optimizations in them. I am using the latest 81.89 and the problem is stil there. If you go back to release 70 drivers the issue disappears.

We need NVIIDA to fix this.

Edited by PerfectCr