Quake

EnderAndrew

Just to add one last note of ATI fanboyism to this thread because I feel the urge: I got a Radeon 9700 Pro when it first came out. Right at release. Retail. A little over $600CDN I think it was. Rip-off, right? I certainly thought myself quite the schmo at the time for spending like that.

But in the long run, amazingly, I tend to think not. Because I'm still using it, and it's...well...it's still pretty fast. Well over three years later, and this card is certainly no slouch. I've been waiting for the next big leap forward ever since, and it hasn't come. The Geforce at its inception (later designated 'Geforce 256' to distinguish it from successors) was a beautiful step forward. The Radeon 9XXX line at its inception was a beautiful step forward. I'm still waiting on the next big jump that can manage to wow me like the Voodoo once did.

Have you guys noticed the $150 price raise for the top of the line video cards?

Anybody thinking about buying the AGEIA Physics card? Its suppose to help your games as much more as a graphic card does. Thats pretty extrodinary if they can keep the price below $200.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

ATI's top-end GPUs are getting killed right now, and their new Crossfire platform is pretty pathetic.

ATI Radeon X850 XT: 5992 3DMark 05 points

Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT: 6820 3DMark 05 points

Difference: ~12%

Crossfire: 10191 3DMark 05 points

SLI: 10667 3DMark 05 points

Difference: ~4%

Source: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-1802...&body_pagenum=2

Two Radeon X850 XT in Crossfire against two SLI connected Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT, and ATI loses out with a couple of points in every comparison. That must make them pretty "pathetic", huh?

Consider this: This is ATI's first attempt at combining two GPU's. When they've optimized their system (which, in my opinion, is better than Nvidia's from a pure technical standpoint) they'll get better results. But that is actually not the most impressive thing about this comparison test. ATI is actually able to compete with Nvidia.. even though the card's compared aren't even of the same generation! ATI hasn't released their new generation of GPU's yet, so it's basically generation 6 ATI against generation 7 Nvidia (unless I am mistaken about the generation numbers.. I lost count)! We'll see how "pathetic" ATI and their Crossfire solution is when they're on the same generation of cards. Oh, and saying that ATI's top-end GPU's are getting killed right now is.. uninformed. To say the least.

There's a countdown on ATI's homepage: http://www.ati.com/

At the time of writing: 16 hours to go. Then we'll see.

Edit: Spelling errors.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It's been revealed: the Ati Radeon X1800 series.

As usual it's crap in Doom 3 and great in Half-Life 2.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-23717-2610-x-x-x

The tests were run on beta drivers. It will be fun to see just how "pathetic" Crossfire is when applied to this new generation of GPU's.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!