First "Fahrenheit" reviews at Eurogamer

funcroc

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60494 (written by Kristan Reed: 9/10)

Scoring Fahrenheit with your head you'd could slap a seven on it and feel confident that it sits comfortably in that zone where it did some very cool things that didn't quite come off. But if we did that it would imply that there are many other games out there today in the genre you'll enjoy more, which is obviously complete nonsense. With that in mind we had to follow our hearts and award Fahrenheit the nine it deserves for being probably the most enjoyable, forward-looking and thoughtful piece of videogaming we've played in this or in any year. We never thought we'd say this, but it's a real step forward for the adventure game genre. Now try sticking that quote on the box.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60493 (written by Tom Bramwell: 8/10)

Ultimately, if you're a gamer - whether brought up on adventures, action games, or whatever - with a love of the mysterious and fantastical, you owe it to yourself to take a look at Fahrenheit. Ease your way past initial frustrations and let the storytelling get its hooks into you and you'll probably follow it to conclusion. Sadly, despite the fact there's more than one possible end sequence, you don't have total control over the outcome, but then how could the game give you that? Like any such game, your choices and actions determine the success or failure of the main characters in each individual section. The difference is that the manner in which you control your characters is far more involving on various levels. Saying the right thing is Fahrenheit's version of buying the right sword. It may sound slightly detached when considered in traditional action-adventure terms, but Quantic Dream's thought harder about you than them, and for that alone Fahrenheit is worth seeing.

...It says a lot about the nature of the games business that a game as exciting as Fahrenheit can be left hung out to dry by its publisher. Less than a year into the game's development, Quantic Dream was left contemplating its options once it became clear that its publisher Vivendi-Universal Games was no longer interested in releasing it.

I am now not so sympathetic to VUG since they were treated so shabbily by Valve.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Scoring Fahrenheit with your head you'd could slap a seven on it and feel confident that it sits comfortably in that zone where it did some very cool things that didn't quite come off.

But it would be foolish to award a game objectively and keeping in mind all its positives and negatives, right? Right?

But if we did that it would imply that there are many other games out there today in the genre you'll enjoy more, which is obviously complete nonsense.

Right. How nice of them to know about my tastes before I even do, and to know they will completely overlap any value I would personally attribute to the game. Willkommen to ze Hype und Thought Kontrol Polizei. Ve are ze Enlightned Ones. You are ze sheep.

The comment about 7 marks is odd, and difficult to account for. The review as a whole does draw attention to perceived positives and negatives. It's a useful reminder of how arbitrary the grading on reviews can be.

It looks like the things the game got wrong are things I don't care about or can live with, and the things it got right (narrative, music) are the things that really make a game for me. Excellent! :lol:;):)

I didn't like the controls in the demo, but no matter - I'll get used to them.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Right. How nice of them to know about my tastes before I even do, and to know they will completely overlap any value I would personally attribute to the game. Willkommen to ze Hype und Thought Kontrol Polizei. Ve are ze Enlightned Ones. You are ze sheep.

Arbeit macht Frei.

All reviews are objectively supplied by your loving Big Brother, at the Ministry of Information. Any misinformation must be the work of foolish individuals who wish to use sedition for suicide. Do not fear, they shall be re-educated in the Vernichtungslager.

Seriously, when I first heard about this game concept I was more than a little sceptical. I am still cynical that the game mechanic can actually work: it sounds too much like playing chess with yourself ... :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Playing chess with oneself can be cool. Especially if one is at an age where he knows how to use the pieces for intimate, rather than intelectual and strategical, purposes.

In any case I had the game in my sights but it'll take more than a gushing review to make me go for it.

Guest Fishboot

I like the first review. Then again, when game critics can keep their drool in their mouths and tie their shoes I beam with pride.

Anyway, there are entire books written about critical objectivity/subjectivity, and none of those books are decisive. If the critic can write down a halfway clear chain of reason or taste I'm satisfied.

True, I don't mind subjectivity, after all it is almost impossible to remove it; much better to have an honest appraisal of the motives and allegiances of the reviewer so that we may make our own informed judgement. That requires a clear audit trail.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

True, I don't mind subjectivity, after all it is almost impossible to remove it; much better to have an honest appraisal of the motives and allegiances of the reviewer so that we may make our own informed judgement. That requires a clear audit trail.

I agree. I think folks should try to be as objective as possible, but recognize that it is part of our humanity to hold biases. So, own up to it, dammit, and be responsible in your reporting.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!