Very odd problem

I recently upgraded my Radeon 9800 XT to a X850 XT PE and have begun having a strange problem with the game. While still using the 9800 XT I was able to use the quicksave feature with no problems, now with the X850 XT PE, the game hangs for almost 20 seconds before the quicksave screen appears and saves my game. This is the only time in which this hang occurs, and it occurs in both kotor I and II. I am still using the exact same drivers and settings for the X850 XT PE as I was for the 9800 XT, and no other games have had any similar problems. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if they know how to fix it, since it is very annoying having to wait 20-30 seconds to "quick" save.

I am still using the exact same drivers and settings for the X850 XT PE as I was for the 9800 XT, and no other games have had any similar problems. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if they know how to fix it, since it is very annoying having to wait 20-30 seconds to "quick" save.

Well I have an ATI X800XL and I just did a quick-save test and it worked fine and instantly.

Why would you use the same drivers and settings? I suppose if you had ATI drivers new enough which supported the X850XT it should be fine but still better to get the latest - unless they are the latest, so just check the site to be sure, but I DO NOT think you need to reinstall them if they are.

Try running the video setup again from the Autorun again and saving the settings (maybe it does some weird detection/saving thing in it).

Another possibility is that your hard drive is going weird - see if there's any constant HD activity during the freezes, although I doubt this is the case at all.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

IIRC you do need to reinstall drivers because when you install drivers it only installs what is needed for that particular card. so if you installed the x850xtpe without reinstalling drivers your pc might still be geared towards a 9800 pro. I'm not sure if any of that was right though.

IIRC you do need to reinstall drivers because when you install drivers it only installs what is needed for that particular card. so if you installed the x850xtpe without reinstalling drivers your pc might still be geared towards a 9800 pro. I'm not sure if any of that was right though.

I did reinstall the drivers after installing the X850 XT PE, I was simply pointing out that the drivers that I reinstalled are the same drivers that I was using for the 9800XT, the catalyst 5.7 drivers. As for the other post, I checked and there is no constant hard drive activity, and the re-scanning of my hardware did not resolve the issue. I did notice one interesting thing in the hardware scan. It seems to think that the X850 XT PE meets the minimum requirements, but not the recomended requirements. Thanks for the suggestions though, I will keep looking for ways to fix this issue.

Update: I reverted back to the catalyst 5.6 drivers and now the quicksave is working fine. Unfortunatly I now have an even bigger problem, the game is flickering to the point that I can't even tell what is happening. I just can't win with this game... fixing one problem causes another.

Update 2: I was able to fix the flicker by reducing my AA from 6x to 4x. I would rather have it set to 6x, but I can live without it. If anyone knows how I could fix my 6x AA flicker problem, please tell me.