A new and awkward problem

Hey all, i haven't been here in a while.

Recently i've been playing K1 and K2 again and i only thought K1 had this problem but now its just happened to me on K2 as well!

When i'm playing for unknown reasons the game will crash, this is usually followed straight away by a weird noise, kinda like a tapping noise. I don't know what's causing this but i can provide the following info.

Pentium 4

2.66ghz Processor

Geforce FX 5700

512mb ram

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=23/07/2005 16:57:48

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=768

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2657

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=2

CPUStepping=7

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName= Intel

Well I know there are updated video drivers for your NVidia card, so you may want to start there. The Realtek AC'97 Audio drivers *may* have an update available to them as well. Check your motherboards manufacturer website for those.

(Dual-Boot)Windows XP Pro (32 - Bit) SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate (SP 1) 64 Bit | Intel Dual Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 8 GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram 1600 mhz | GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB PCI Express X 3 SLI enabled | NVidia Forceware Drivers 181.22| EVGA nForce 790I-SLI Ultra MOBO | Thermalake 850 Watt PWR |

Guest MacleodCorp
When i'm playing for unknown reasons the game will crash, this is usually followed straight away by a weird noise, kinda like a tapping noise. I don't know what's causing this but i can provide the following info.

You have a coalation, which is your CD Rom drive. If you are experiencing the same issue, when playing both games, your CD Rom drive is the source. At the beginning, it will start to click every once and a while. When it is getting ready to give up, it will start to click constantly. I am willing to bet that regarless of what CD you use, it will click over and over. Until it crashes...

Thanks for the input guys, ive updated my drivers for the AC97 audio ones and ive had the latest nvidia drivers for a while.

A while back i installed guild wars and i kept the cd in when playing, no crashes ever there, but then i dont know if it even read from the disc because i later learned i dont need the disc to play the game.

I've got a dvd drive however and i can always plonk the discs in there and if it does the same problem again then i'll know if its actually the drive playing up or not. :(

As for that sound however, its not from the cd drive, i know this for sure, ive never heard it click a certain number of times and then get faster before stopping. It comes from my speakers, difficult to describe, but i'll soon know if it does it again or not.

Thanks guys, i've got it running perfectly now :D i think you were right MacLeod, ever since running the discs in my dvd drive i haven't had any problems at all. :thumbsup: I'm now back playing in dantooine with no crashes, been playing all afternoon.