Japanese Planescape:Torment

You mean FF's since the 6th one have been influenced by Arcanum? Or trying to achieve something like it's setting?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

No, FF6 came out before Arcanum. I think Square has been shooting for a setting like the one Arcanum had, with a gritty mix of magic and technology.

However, in every FF setting, magic trumps technology which proves to be evil and useless. Arcanum was a setting in an industrial revolution where magic was seen as the force holding back industrial growth. Neither side was presented as right, or more powerful in the world.

While the FF settings seemed silly, the world or Arcanum was more fleshed out, and much more immersive.

Not Visceris?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

No, FF6 came out before Arcanum.  I think Square has been shooting for a setting like the one Arcanum had, with a gritty mix of magic and technology.

However, in every FF setting, magic trumps technology which proves to be evil and useless.  Arcanum was a setting in an industrial revolution where magic was seen as the force holding back industrial growth.  Neither side was presented as right, or more powerful in the world.

While the FF settings seemed silly, the world or Arcanum was more fleshed out, and much more immersive.

Agreed. I really like Arcanum, and its setting as definitely a neat idea. I loved the bitterness between those that cherished magic and those that preferred technology.

And it's neat, because I've seen people say magic is overpowered, and I've seen people say technology is overpowered. Although I hated how the game made you specialize TOO much, but this is the case with every game. Why is it on the last act that absolutely no doors can be opened with only 5 skillpoints in lockpicking (for example).

I never got far in Arcanum, doubtlessly because it was a demo, but the skill and attribut system brought good memories of SPECIAL and the overall vibe was a bit Thiefish(which also has a steampunk setting).

Now when I'd like to play it again, it's sold nowhere.

kirottu said:

RIP Troika :(

Amen.

kirottu said:

Piranha Bytes, Nival(mostly), can't remember more. And those are european.

kirottu said:

So five-six. Pitiful.

kirottu said:

Yeah, and oh Arkane; the makers of Arx Fatalis.

kirottu said:

I never cared for the Ultima Underworld games.

It was probably because I was so madly in love (like Furries are with animals) with Ultima VII at the time that anything Ultima that wasn't like it was just teh suxx0r.

Ditto!

A truly non-linear game (in that I could do different parts of the quest in different orders....none of this "oh look I have a ton of sidequests, despite the fact that the main plot must be played through in exactly the same way no matter what" crap that is passed off as non-linear today).

Not only that, but it let you bake bread, and apparently you could craft your own sword too. (I never got the hang of it, but there were books that told you how to do it!). I loved shooting the breeze with people, and when you audition to be the Avatar (where the audition was basically picking the most appropriate line, from "-I- am the Avatar" to "I -AM- the Avatar" and so on :lol:) was good fun too.

Not to mention I found the game to be genuinely difficult. If I went running into Destard, the Dragons were gonna have my way with me.

:p

I should see if I can find my old copy of the game. I think I saw it when I picked up my close combat games from my parent's.....but I was too on a quest to find CC, and didn't think to grab it.

Sounds like Ultima to me. Too bad Looking Glass went down in flames. They might have done a third Underworld. And Thief 3 and Shock 3 and Terra Nove 2 etc :p

kirottu said: