Anybody feel like a game of Mornington Crescent?

I'm sure that someone here must know the rules properly, and I haven't played in so long that I'm just dying for a game.

The thing is, with it being the 1st of July, and thus being closed for repairs, I'd have my first ever chance to play the Davis-Fraser opening which commences from Stonebridge Park, as per the closed station rule revision of 1995. I think I might have finally developed a winning strategy from Stonebridge Park, which to my knowledge has never been done before without the use of the German Gambit, which, let's face it, is so low as to be almost cheating.

So, if anyone would be willing to oblige me, could we maybe play a game?

I'd start, of course, with Stonebridge Park.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

As I recall, there are two popular counters to the Davis-Fraser opening. The Holloway Road defense certainly led to a dramatic game at the 2001 UK semi-finals (with St. John's Wood following Perivale, as unlikely as that sounds), but it's a bit risky for my blood. I'll go with Fraser's own suggestion (which leaves the game more open).

My move is Fulham Broadway.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Fulham Broadway? How utterly sly of you! You may think you have me fooled, but I'm afraid that your cunning idea shall fail. I remember a similar move was made in the opening round of the 1989 London Tournament. But where the opponent, whose name escapes me at present, fell for such a deceptively mild mannered move, I shall not.

You have left open Park Royal, and it is there we shall go.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Park Royal? Hmmmm. The obvious countermove would be Bond Street, but I have a feeling that's a trap. As today is Canada Day (Happy Canada Day, Canadians! :thumbsup: ), I will employ the Nova Scotia Ploy - Trafalgar Square scores double until midnight tonight.

So, Trafalgar Square it is. Saarjahumaarja, you're welcome to join us, but I remind you that latecomers are not allowed to open on the District or Circle lines.

"Perhaps you'd like to make a legal move and join in?"

My knowledge of the stations on the London Underground is a bit nonexistant, I'm afraid.

Here's a map for you:

http://www.oxfordtube.com/assets/london/underground_map.jpg

And since, as you say, today is Canada day, I think it only fair that I counter your Nova Scotia Ploy with the recent Vancouver Island Adjustment to the rules, and move straight to Canada Water topwise through the Jubilee Line. it might not be the most strategically advantageous of moves, but I simply couldn't resist it.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Rats. I suppose I walked straight into that. :devil:

Well, that's a clear blocking move, entirely within the rules of course, but it only leaves me with two legal moves. Obviously, Colindale would be sheer suicide because it opens up the Second Stanmore Offence for you, so I'm compelled to go with Burnt Oak.

Hmm... this game sounds fun, but I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the rules.  If someone could PM me and help me out I'd greatly apreciate it.

P.S.  Sorry for spamming your game.

I don't know of a good version of the rules on the internet. You could ask for the official rulebook at a bookshop, but the best way to learn is just to play. Feel free to join in, but remember what I said above about latecomers.

I hope you'll forgive the lateness of the reply, but with a move like that, you sure gave me a lot to think about. So many stations, but every one of them a bad move. After considering my options, however, and racking my brains for some way out, I'll move to Richmond, invoking Lee's 4th Amendment to the rules regarding the juxtaposition of two Antimonous stations. An obscure and lesser used rule, you understand, but possibly the best I've got.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I hope you'll forgive the lateness of the reply, but with a move like that, you sure gave me a lot to think about.  So many stations, but every one of them a bad move.  After considering my options, however, and racking my brains for some way out, I'll move to Richmond, invoking Lee's 4th Amendment to the rules regarding the juxtaposition of two  Antimonous stations.  An obscure and lesser used rule, you understand, but possibly the best I've got.

I'd like to query that. As Richmond is a terminus, can you invoke the Lee Amendments without passing through Knightsbridge first? I remember this issue coming up in White v Pemberton last year, but I can't recall how it was resolved.

I hope you'll forgive the lateness of the reply, but with a move like that, you sure gave me a lot to think about.  So many stations, but every one of them a bad move.  After considering my options, however, and racking my brains for some way out, I'll move to Richmond, invoking Lee's 4th Amendment to the rules regarding the juxtaposition of two  Antimonous stations.  An obscure and lesser used rule, you understand, but possibly the best I've got.

I'd like to query that. As Richmond is a terminus, can you invoke the Lee Amendments without passing through Knightsbridge first? I remember this issue coming up in White v Pemberton last year, but I can't recall how it was resolved.

Yes, it was resolved that Kightsbridge must be passed, but as it is Canada Day as was previously mentioned, the Optional National Collorary can be invoked, which as you know allows Canadian interpretation of the rules. Of course, this same rule would permit you to move to Turnham Green now, but I'm willing to take that chance.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

No, that's fine, I'd forgotten about the Collorary - thinking about it, I believe White v Pemberton took place on Australia Day. It is very sneaky of you to suggest Turnham Green, but there's no way I'm falling for that! :rolleyes:

I think you'll find Ruislip South rather difficult to counter - there are some interesting subtleties involving several of the Actons.

The actons provide some interesting problems, yes, but while both North And West Acton provide no useful options at all, the Aitken Switchback, first played in the seventies, allows a move to be played forthwise on just this sort of occasion, allowing me to bypass East acton and move straight to South Kenton. Now, I know that you may be thinking of moving straight down Bakerloo to Picadilly Circus, but bear in mind that it is now only Canada Day in Canada, Removing the bonus from Trafalgar, and therefore disallowing ambulaorationary moves.

I do hope our observers are enjoying our game. I also hope that the fairly advanced level of the game isn't making the rules too hard to pick up. We'd love for you to participate.

It is also getting late. I hope someone else can fill my spot. Otherwise, I shall have to examine your answer in the morning. Good night. :rolleyes:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

*groans*

Oh no! Why'd you have to move to Dollis Hill? If there's anything I really hate about this game, it's that blasted loop. Well, what choice am I left with? The Matthews Dash would only open up Mornington Crescent to another player, and The Collins Gambit could very well do the same in three moves. Well, I'll be damned if I lose so easily. My move is Dollis Hill.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Morning. It just goes to show how sleepy I was last night, I almost posted a move without receiving yours, which would have triggered a Teybridge Default, handing you two free moves. :)

Dollis Hill is a good move, certainly - I've always thought the loop opens up as many opportunities as risks. I'll try Farringdon.

Arsenal is certainly an intriguing move, but to be honest I'm not sure what you hoped to accomplish by it, as it strikes me as neither overly defensive or offensive. However, as I'm worried you're stalling for something, I'll do the same, and go to Elephant and Castle.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Alas - you're in a bit of a pickle. Given your counter-clockwise rotation around the Dollis Hill loop, your Line Velocity to Elephant and Castle could not have been greater than 5 but less than 10. Given that flange rules on Saturday are now in effect, I automatically gain access to the Circle Lines.

manthing2.jpg

I think it's time to shake things up a bit. It's a while since I reversed the rotation of a Dollis Hill Loop, but it's a strategy that's worked for me in the past. Interestingly, as the flange rules are in operation, that opens up the First Stanmore Offense to me (which would normally only be accessible via Maida Vale). Stanmore it is.