ATI Catalyst 5.4

Just looked over at ati.com to see that the catalyst 5.4 patch is out and there is fix for KOTOR:

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Loading the Dantooine level of the game under Windows XP no longer results in slow game performance

It's a shame it fixes dantooine on KOTOR when i'm sure most of us would like to be able to play dantooine on KOTORII..

I suppose it gives me something to play until thats fixed though :thumbsup:

Just looked over at ati.com to see that the catalyst 5.4 patch is out and there is fix for KOTOR:

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Loading the Dantooine level of the game under Windows XP no longer results in slow game performance

It doesn't on loading initally but it returns if you quicksave at certain parts of Dantooine. Good news is you can bypass the problem totally by enabling Disable Vertex Shader Objects.

I fixed it by placing the openGL dll from catalyst 4.7 into the KOTORII directory and that fixed it immediatly which suggests to me that the problem is something to do with ATI drivers.  Hence why it's a shame that they still haven't fixed it!

Yes, the poor frame rate on Dantooine without enabling Disable Vertex Shader Objects seems to only have started from 4.12 onwards. So it should be within the ability of ATI to fix it but they somehow cannot or will not. I guess it's not really an issue as long as you know the workaround.

Take note that several Catalysts before 4.11, which might include 4.7, suffer from crashes to desktop after repeated area transitions.