Super fast dialogue...

So I recently got KotOR2. I got all excited and a bit wet in the britches when creating a new character in the familiar and warming glow from my monitor, only to find out that dialogue is basically rushed to the end with no ability to read it. The only time dialogue is stopped is when I have a dialogue choice. After I make my choice, however, dialogue is zipped through till the next option/end of dialogue.

Is there a solution to this?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

So I recently got KotOR2. I got all excited and a bit wet in the britches when creating a new character in the familiar and warming glow from my monitor, only to find out that dialogue is basically rushed to the end with no ability to read it. The only time dialogue is stopped is when I have a dialogue choice. After I make my choice, however, dialogue is zipped through till the next option/end of dialogue.

Is there a solution to this?

If it's every single line, then there's no solution or quick fix. If it only happens after you've played for a few hours, the solution is to exit the game completely, restart it, and load the last save once every few hours.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I may have found a cause...or something...

I scanned my hardware using the config utility. Here's what I got. Everything passed except for my video drivers:

[Video]

Video Card Name=NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go (Dell Mobile)

Video Memory=64

Desktop Resolution=1680x1050x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=1.4.0

OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce4 4200 Go/PCI/SSE2

NVidia Driver=6.14.10.4482

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Fail

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

I went to Nvidia's site to update my drivers, but it tells me 2 things:

1) I can't update to the latest driver (71.84) because it tells me it can't find drivers for my hardware.

2) updating to 66.93 does nothing, as it still says I don't have the appropriate drivers installed.

What gives with this?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Hi,

If you have a notebook (I dont see any other explanation for 'Mobile' graphic card), you should probably look for drivers on your pc manufacturer's site (so probably Dell).

I've had similiar problems when trying to install Catalyst drivers on my Radeon Mobile - they were telling me, that they can't find driver for my video. So had to visit hp site and download drivers from there (they are around 1 yr old, though :devil: ).

regards,

Leszek

Thanks guys. I'll give these things a try when I get home this evening.

[edit:]

Ok, I tried downloading the drivers from Dell, and it got rid of the failed system test, and it really improved the performance of the game. However, the dialogue bug still remains, and the cursor is now only visible when moving it, and even then, it blinks rapidly.

*bump*

Could it possibly be something in the settings?