movies crashing after playing, can't save

hello,

so far i love the game! i have really little problem running the game. well, except i've had to disable the movies. once they play the screen goes black and never returns to the game.

any ideas? i have a brand new computer (as of december, and it's really powerful). i'm not in front of my computer right now so i don't have the specs. but maybe someone has come across this problem and discovered an ingenious fix!

thanks people.

• 1 month later...
hello,

so far i love the game! i have really little problem running the game. well, except i've had to disable the movies. once they play the screen goes black and never returns to the game.

any ideas?  i have a brand new computer (as of december, and it's really powerful). i'm not in front of my computer right now so i don't have the specs. but maybe someone has come across this problem and discovered an ingenious fix!

thanks people.

I have the same problem, but it seems to be pretty rare. I haven't found a solution anywhere and it took forever for me to find someone that has the same problem. Don't have any advice to offer unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd bring up this topic to the front again, because I'm having the same problems. Except movies work fine in windowed mode, but not in fullscreen. In fullscreen I get a black screen of death lockup. It's really annoying because I like watching the movies but don't enjoy playing windowed. I'm running a desktop machine with an ATI 9700 Pro.

I had this problem with my ati 9500pro on a desktop pc. All I did was update to the latest catalyst drivers, set my refresh rate in the KOTOR2 game options to the same rate as in my desktop settings, and presto the movies now work.

I'd be curious to see if it works for others or if it was just a fluke for me. Either way, I'm happy. Now I'll finish playing through as DS and be able to see the movies I missed the first time through.

I had this problem with my ati 9500pro on a desktop pc. All I did was update to the latest catalyst drivers, set my refresh rate in the KOTOR2 game options to the same rate as in my desktop settings, and presto the movies now work.

I'd be curious to see if it works for others or if it was just a fluke for me. Either way, I'm happy. Now I'll finish playing through as DS and be able to see the movies I missed the first time through.

Seems it's quite common... I first experienced the problem with movies early in the game (1h of gameplay, no more), then installed newest catalyst, it disappeared... For some time. Now it's back and back for good. I can't leave the mining colony, after the shortcut with ebon hawk shooting its lasergun, all it gives me is a blank screen and some noises in the background.

Reasons are (IMO) two. First being ATI cards (and their drivers) that are clearly not able to cope with buggy code. Second is KOTOR's buggy code (sorry Obsidian) and lack of compatibility with ATI products.

I haven't found any solution so far. The game becomes almost unplayable and I'm slowly losing my patience though I loved the first KOTOR... Guess I'll just start another season in Football Manager 2005... :-

My specs:

Celeron D 2.66@3.33, Sapphire Radeon 9800SE Adv.256MB, 128bit Catalyst 5.5, 512 MB RAM, Abit IS7-E, ModeCom 350 GTF