ATI: Try turning Catalyst AI to OFF

Do you know what the AI thing does? That feature is off for me but I've got no clue what it actually does, or what its supposed to do... :blink:

AI is an ATI specific chipset function that is supposed to detect certain rendering pathways and automatically adjust how a game looks and runs and give the end user better performance without them having to adjust anything themselves.

However, most gamers/games get better performance with it OFF as it is still pretty much in an experimental/beta stages right now even if they include it in the Catalyst Control Center...

Which I highly recommend you DON'T use for the simple fact it is a resource hog that has to run in the background for AI to work. Ergo, sucking up valuable gaming resources even on high-end rigs.

Do you know what the AI thing does? That feature is off for me but I've got no clue what it actually does, or what its supposed to do... :ermm:

AI is an ATI specific chipset function that is supposed to detect certain rendering pathways and automatically adjust how a game looks and runs and give the end user better performance without them having to adjust anything themselves.

However, most gamers/games get better performance with it OFF as it is still pretty much in an experimental/beta stages right now even if they include it in the Catalyst Control Center...

Which I highly recommend you DON'T use for the simple fact it is a resource hog that has to run in the background for AI to work. Ergo, sucking up valuable gaming resources even on high-end rigs.

The idea is to figure out ways to reduce redundant rendering and filtering by using more CPU basically. It will try to prevent things like anisotropic filtering on textures that shouldn't be filtered in that way. It actually supports specific games, like HL2 and UT2004, but it obviously has a general profile as well.

I believe you can definitely benefit from it, depending on how the game is bottlenecked. If your GPU is holding you back because of lack of bandwidth or fillrate, you should see a benefit if your CPU is not the issue. So, if you have a 9550 say instead of a X800 XT, you could benefit a lot more.

KOTOR 2 doesn't like it.l But, it seems, KOTOR 2 doesn't like much of anything and doens't work right anyway.....