Level Transition Bug

hk899

I have seen many other threads regarding the game actually crashing during a level transition, but I am experiencing a different problem whereby the game simply dumps me back to the main menu and doesn't crash during a transition. This is occurring when attempting to move from Peragus Fuel Depot to Peragus Docking Bay, though if I move back to the previous level (Harbinger) then no problem occurs. When I'm dumped back to the main menu I can initially only move the cursor but not select any of the options, though upon pressing ALT+F4 I am prompted as to whether I really want to quit with the "your progress will not be saved" message as if I were still in the game and then get full functionality back in the menu!

Has anyone else come across this issue? To me this seems like an issue with the game itself more than anything else since the game doesn't actually crash, though I have tried some of the fixes to other more common bugs I've come across on this forum, but to no avail. A corrupt save file is of course another possibility, but the only other save I have is an auto save from a couple of hours earlier (why such infrequent auto saves?), so I don't really want to have to replay all that with the possibility that the same problem will occur again. Another worry is that if my save has corrupted once then what is to stop it occurring again later in the game?

I've also come across another couple (there are others but I'll only mention the main ones) of not quite so show stopping bugs, but irritating nonetheless:

-Movies that I've not yet viewed during gameplay are inexplicably unlocked when viewing from the menu, resulting in potential spoilers.

-Items created at a workbench just seem to disappear from your inventory upon leaving the bench. I've only tried this once as I thought there was no point wasting components on something I wouldn't even get to keep!

I loved the first game, and encountered no issues with that, I was very much into this one as well until hitting the main bug listed above. I have to say that I'm very disappointed with this though, even more so upon reading the seemingly endless lists of bugs for both the PC and Xbox versions.

Oh well, off to replay from my auto save with fingers crossed that this doesn't happen again I guess!

Update:

I replayed from my auto save at the point of entering the harbinger and unfortunately the same thing happened again >_<

Can anyone tell me if there is a movie that should be playing or something that could trigger this dumping to the main menu at the point when you move from Pegasus Fuel Depot to the the Docking Bay?

Something else I noticed is that the log for the Ebon Hawk quest has not been updated since I discovered the administration officer's body in the dormitory area - can anyone confrim if this is correct? Should it have updated by now?

Thanks

I guess I must be alone in encountering this bug then, nobody has any ideas?

Since replaying from my auto save I have tried another couple of things, in spite of not expecting them to work. I've reinstalled the game and updated to the latest ATI Catalyst drivers - the reinstall had no effect (bug still occurs), while all the driver update done was to add major graphical corruption to my existing bug! As in textures are missing from most surfaces, everything just appears as plain white. Have others seen this?

The next thing to try is downgrading to the Catalyst 4.11 drivers that I've seen a lot of people recommend but I don't really think my original issue is related to this, so I guess after that I'll have to try starting the game from scratch :)

Reluctantly returning this game to the store is looking increasingly likely, though I will wait to see if a patch is forthcoming in the next couple of weeks first - if not I certainly won't be looking to purchase anymore games from Obsidian!

I have the same problem - kind of. Instead of seeing the Main Menu, I see a black screen and my cursor... first time I saw it, I thought I'd crashed again, but I can open the various menus... apparently I'm in the game, but it won't load the graphics or HUD. Same attempts to fix, no results. I'm thinking of reinstalling the game, I did have a lapse in the install when I ran out of HD space... maybe that has something to do with it. I'm still having problems, though... if anyone can answer these, that'd be great. I can't find the uninstall option. Is it hidden somewhere? Do I have to use "Add/Remove Programs" to get rid of it? What files do I need to back up to keep my saves (if possible)? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows...

Are experiencing this at the exact same point as me? The transition from Peragus Fuel Depot to Peragus Docking Bay or a different transition? If so what is the status of your Ebon Hawk quest when attempting to move to the docking bay? Just seems like this might be the cause to me, so I think I'm gonna backtrack if I can (don't know if you can get back past the harbinger?) and see if I can change the quest status.

I think your issue might be slightly different though, as I've seen many posts about the black screen on the message board but no others about this >_<

You can uninstall from add/remove programs and it will ask you if you wish to keep your saves. Though I don't think this will help you personally, I reckon you'd be better off checking some of the other postings about black screens on this forum.

Thanks

Ok, I attempted to track back in order to try and change the status of my Ebon Hawk quest before attempting to enter the Peragus Docking Bay, but unfortunately as I suspected I could only get so far as the Harbinger Engine Deck where you leave Kreia fighting what is the main bad guy at this point (haven't yet learned his name).

Anyway, in order to better show what I mean by the status of this quest I've attached a snap of my quest log - can anyone confirm whether this should have been updated by this point in the game? If so then I'll know I need to start the game again and make sure its updated before entering the Harbinger, but I don't really want to start over only for it all turn out to be in vain...

Thanks in advance...

My quest log:

post-9489-1108306926_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested (or incase anyone else runs into this) I just thought I'd post that I managed to get past this point by playing the game from scratch - and I think I know what may have caused my problem. On my first run through, at the point where you find T3-M4 in the fuel pipe, he simply wasn't there! So I guess it was just this bugged quest preventing me making the transition to the next area, pretty much the only thing I done differently from my first run through the game was not to bother going to find the administration officer (not entering the dormitory area) - though I don't know if this has any effect on the bug.

In light of the other comments posted in other threads, I'm bracing myself for this to happen again and keeping a permanent save just before making EVERY level transition. A pretty serious bug in my opinion, I know I certainly wouldn't be playing it again if this had happened much later in the game. Pretty terrible, the state this game was released in - I have two friends currently playing through it on Xbox as well and they both complain of it hanging their otherwise perfectly stable consoles!

Hope this helps someone...

What I think is happening here is that Obsidian put in TOO many variables in how to solve some of these quests and the game (engine) may in fact just get "confused" as to what you are doing.

An example is reaching the Ebon Hawk (Peragus Hangar).

The designers give you a lot of options once you get to a certain point (I don't want to spoil it for those who aren't this far). You can play a mini-game, you can destroy the console, you can hack the console (if you have enough spikes), you can repair the console and you can even just bash the main door open that leads to the next "chapter" of the story (rejoining Atton and going to hunt for T3).

While it seems like a great gameplay feature to give the player a lot more options than in KOTOR... I think the engine wasn't really designed for this many simultaneous variables and this is why some of these quests are buggy and not calling up certain scripts because it is getting "confused" with the "correct" way something should be done.

I am not a programmer, but I have very basic understanding of the Odyssey Engine a sneaky suspicion this is what is happening.

Also, I have KOTOR I installed and I compraed the subfolder structures and KOTOR 2 is missing some vital files and other things. Granted, again, I am not a coder, but it looks like KOTOR 2 is missing a lot of .rim files (in the rim subfolder) that basically define the level functions for some of these quests... among other things.

i have tried to load from different save files,but each time i check the fuel line camera he's not there,but it still says he is there.

Same in my game. My party member says that he is there but he isn't. I advise you to restart the game until you really find the droid. Although i myself didn't manage to find him yet i can just tell you that you'll need him for other quests on other planets later on in the game.

At the moment i am missing more than T3-M4 - i am also missing another character that should have joined my party.

And although the game itself with cutscenes and so on says that this character joined my party he/she just isn't there!

So at the moment there are 2 party members missing which makes it rather difficult to complete a lot of quests. That's crap!

Bye Oli

i have tried to start the game from scratch but it doesn't work anyway.

perhaps i have to restart again. :ermm:

This is unfortunate, sorry to hear that but I only suggested it since it worked for me - personally I decided I'd give it one more go, if that worked then great, if not then I'd wait a week or two to see if there was any news of a patch to fix this specific issue. If there wasn't I was going to return the game... I guess it depends on how badly you want to play this game, I know I wouldn't have been prepared to keep starting again over and over though.

The second time you played through did you do everything exactly the same or did you do things slightly differently? If you're going to have another go it might be worth going about some of the quests differently if possible. Or see if anyone has a save that they could send you immediately after the level transition (unfortunately I don't have one), but I know that sucks because you would be stuck with somebody elses character...

I hope you find a solution!

i have tried to start the game from scratch but it doesn't work anyway.

perhaps i have to restart again. :)

This is unfortunate, sorry to hear that but I only suggested it since it worked for me - personally I decided I'd give it one more go, if that worked then great, if not then I'd wait a week or two to see if there was any news of a patch to fix this specific issue. If there wasn't I was going to return the game... I guess it depends on how badly you want to play this game, I know I wouldn't have been prepared to keep starting again over and over though.

The second time you played through did you do everything exactly the same or did you do things slightly differently? If you're going to have another go it might be worth going about some of the quests differently if possible. Or see if anyone has a save that they could send you immediately after the level transition (unfortunately I don't have one), but I know that sucks because you would be stuck with somebody elses character...

I hope you find a solution!

do you have any ideas on what i should do differently?what choices did you make?

did you play good or evil? any info would be helpful :)

pretty much the only thing I done differently from my first run through the game was not to bother going to find the administration officer (not entering the dormitory area) - though I don't know if this has any effect on the bug.

In light of the other comments posted in other threads, I'm bracing myself for this to happen again and keeping a permanent save just before making EVERY level transition.

This is from my earlier post and is about the only thing that I done differently - my reason for this was that the Ebon Hawk quest log still talked about finding the body of the admin officer (see the attachment on the earlier post), and I wondered if this was why I couldn't progress. Turns out it wasn't obviously and it was in fact because there was no T3-M4, but I'd say its worth a shot steering clear of the dormitory if nothing else is working for you (though I admit I have my own doubts that this will help).

To answer your question... I played the game entirely on the light side up to this point. Let me know if you have any luck!

I did Korriban last. When I tried going to

Dxun

I couldnt exit the ship (same with Dantooine). When I tried, I get shown the front menu screen, and can only alt+f4. So I reloaded and exited the ship on Korriban. I re-entered and about 6 cutscenes went off. I exited and entered again and this time the screen blinks like there is a cutscene but nothing happens. So i tried that place again and the same thing happens. If I go to any other planet, the game freezes on the load bar. I tried looking for that .dll file but I don't have it.

There was a bug like this in KOTOR 1 as well, I think you had to delete your temp files to fix it, but I tried that and it doesn't work.

I did like you said and ignored the administration officer,and guess what...

IT WORKED! i didn't se T3 on the camera but he was there and the level transition worked fine. :D but even if he hadn't been there i probably would have made it anyway beacuse i have found a way to warp from one area to another by tampering withe the savenfo file.

Thanks a lot for the help!

No problem, glad you got it sorted. I didn't see T3 on the camera either, but he was there when I reached the fuel pipe! Care to share details of altering the save file? I had read something of this when I was having the problem, but couldn't find details/a list of all the map names... it might be handy if this happens again.

Thanks

Hi,

I have a very similar problem, but much more into the game. I've completed Dantooine, done Onderon partially and finished Nar Shadaa. I've received a messege from Master Kevar asking me to meet him at Dxun.

But the game only lets me go to Korriban. When I try to travel to Telos, Dantooine or Dxun, I see the travel cutscenes and then the Main Menu appears as reported.

Playing from the beginning is not an option. :rolleyes:

PS: Now that I am in Korriban, it won't let me go back to Nar Shaddaa. So the problem is that the game doesn't let me return to already visited planets.

I've had loaded an older game, and found that this problem has been there since at least the second planet I visited: Onderon.

Gorion, have you solved this yet?

You might not like to hear this, but if you don't have a working save you can fall back to then the best idea that I can see would be to wait and see if the forthcoming patch fixes the issue. If the patch doesn't help... then I can't really see much alternative but to start again - at least then you'll be safe in the knowledge that you've played from scratch with a patched version of the game, so there should be a less chance of it happening the second time through.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...

now i'm not sure if you already fixed it by now, but it happened to me too. i fixed it by using cheat engine, by speedhacking the actual game before i do the thing that activates the bug (in your case, moving from level to another), now slow it to 0.25 and wait it out, if it did work, right after the loading screen you should be able to change the speed back to normal and continue playing. if you dont know how to use cheat engine to speedhack, then here's a good tutorial (works with any game, not just kotor) (note: you must play the game on windowed mode if you want to use cheat engine, because you must use it while the game is active)