Via chipset and nvidia

found this at lucasforums and it worked wonders for me. no problems, glitches or bugs after i "downgraded" my drivers for via chipset...

"Fix for problems with VIA chipset - works for nVidia, not sure about ATI

Okay, this is a bit round about but it seems to work well and other people have confirmed it.

Go into device manager and open the System Devices tab. Dbl click on VIA CPU to AGP bridge (or equivalent depending upon your driver version). In the Driver tab, click update driver. Don't let Windows update connect to look online, and say you want to install a specific driver from a list or location. Remove the "show compatible hardware" check box, and look for the FIRST (Very Very Important - you won't bugger anything up, but the fix won't work otherwise) entry regarding VIA CPU to AGP bridge. Select it and install the driver, ignoring the useless Microsoft compatibility warning (it's actually one of their versions of the driver). Restart.

Fixes problems with Nvogl and most D3D games, not sure about the FMV bug. It's odd to have to go back to a prior version of the VIA AGP driver like this, but the current one is beyond useless and utterly bug ridden. It just doesn't like the new nVidia cards at all...

As I mentioned, no idea if this will resolve any problems on a VIA chipset running an ATI card, but worth a try don't you think - there seems to be a fundamental flaw in the VIA hyperion drivers and I think it's infinitely more likely that a bug in Hyperion is responsible for lots of these VIA errors than untold numbers of defective cards.

Hope this helps, and let me know how it works for you."

Well, what problem does it exactly fix? My problem is exactly the same as humanauts in this thread:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29460

The lower I turn down the resolution, the longer I can play the game before it crashes. And just like the guys in that thread, the same thing happens with KOTOR 1, even though back when I had a Ti4400 instead of a 6600GT, KOTOR ran flawlessly.

Didn't fix the problem anyway. *sigh*

The FIRST item on my list is "VIA CPU to AGP Controller", not bridge. I don't have anything about "bridge" on my list at all. So I did the controller one, didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though, it couldn't have hurt. (I upated my drivers recently anyway, since they're supposedly bug-ridden crap, no sense in keeping them ...)