Game locks up at Hanger Bay sub-level

I originally started the game at 1280x1024/60 RR/High Texture/Shadows-on/Grass-on/Anti-Aliasing 4/Anisotropy-off/Frame Buffer-on/Soft Shadows-on/Vsync-off and it playing the first level of the game without issue until I get to the Hanger Bay sub-level. Upon entering the level you can see the frame rate drop and the T3 will move very slowly about halfway down the hall and then a complete freeze up (with all the sounds still playing). I restarted the game at 800x600/60 RR/Low Texture pack and all the advanced options above off with the same effect on the same level. I am using the latest version of ATI drivers (5.2) and I did try and the Catalyst V 4.11 with the same effect (I had also tried Omegas drivers and that didn't help either). Needless to say after lots of time spent downloading and re-booting I am in the same boat as when I started with an unplayable game. Anybody have the same issue, any input is appreciated in advance.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (SP2)

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

Processor: Intel

Not sure if it is related but there is a problem when skipping the intro cinematics, at least was for me. I found a fix for my problem so I may be offering the same solution for different problems. Bare with me.

Start the game and don't do anything, let all the movies play through. Then load your save and see if the same performance issues are there.

There seems to be issues with ATI cards so there is a good chance my fix is unrelated to your issue.