male v. female

ajax

The first time through I played the game as a male character and during my first training session with the handmaiden, I learned some kind of echani technique that allowed me to replace my dex modifier with my wisdom modifier when determining my defense rating.

I am now playing the game as a female. The handmaiden is not a party member in the female's game. Does this mean that I will be unable to benefit from the wisdom defense bonus noted above? Is there some other npc that will teach me the "technique" in question, and if so, who is it? I hope I did not foolishly tank my character's dexterity.

Thanks in advance.

I always thought that Wis armor bit was BS, it doesn't visibly change the defense stat like a dex modifier does...

Of course, while I saved and reloaded to check to see if the Defense stat itself changed, I never bothered crunching the numbers in feedback before and after since it would've required fighting, checking feedback, initiating a sequence, and fighting again.. which seemed like too much work to me.

To answer your question in a more direct fashion... I don't recall ever getting any bonuses out of conversations with Disciple, which is what you're stuck with I guess.

Sadly, I'd say the male game is more rewarding in general. The handmaiden subplot is revealed through repeated Atris cutscenes... you get no such gravy with female characters... sad really.

"I always thought that Wis armor bit was BS, it doesn't visibly change the defense stat like a dex modifier does..."

The wisdom modifier does visibly change your defense stat, but for whatever reason it does not seem to always work while you are on the Ebon Hawk. As soon as I leave the Ebon Hawk, all my wisdom-boosting items are suddenly recognized and my defense shoots skyward. While on the Ebon Hawk I usually have to re-equip to get the modifier to show up on my character or inventory screen. By the end of my first game, my defense was in the low 50s, inspite of the fact that my male consular/weapon