Speculation

You guys don't get it. If you remember from KOTOR 1, the "true sith" were once a race which is now extinct. I think Kreia was implying that these true sith actually are still alive, and want to emerge out of the outer rim to claim the galaxy. Revan obviously needs to prevent this from happening. If he is light, of course he needs to stop it. If he is dark, he either wants to stop them from coming to prevent his power from being stolen, or he wants to use them to strengthen his fleet. The exile isnt important guys. KOTOR 2 is setting us up for a third game, in which a third PC will witness Revan fighting in the outer rim. This character also might possibly witnes the exile joining him. KOTOR 2's point was to show us that all wasnt over when Revan took control or destroyed the Star Forge.

Perhaps you are right, but I remember Kreia saying it was the Sith ideal that survived. The empire that is beyond the outer rim might just be any empire that has adopted their ideal and might very well be on the conquest. The other possibility is that it's not really an empire at all. That she called it that because people everywhere will have evil inside of them that Revan either sought to destroy or take advantage of in a perhaps totally non warfare sense. I would obviously prefer the first option though. It seems more likely as well, since if you played LS you heard that

Revan told Carth to keep the Republic strong and that he didn't know why. That kind of makes one assume that their will be another huge war coming up between the Republic and the Sith Empire that Revan went to fight.

The Sith'ari was a perfect being who would rise to power and bring balance to the Force. According to prophecy, the Sith'ari would rise up and destroy the Sith, but in the process would return to lead the Sith and make them stronger than ever before, a striking parallel to the Chosen One of Jedi legend, though it is most likely that the Sith'ari and Chosen One are one and the same.

Found this info at..

http://www.e-paranoids.com/s/si/sith.html

I found this in the e-paranoids thing, After redeeming Malak's apprentice, Bastila Shan, he slew Malak himself in a final confrontation between the old friends, allowing the Republic to destroy the Star Forge and win the day.

Wouldn't this mean revan was light side?

anyways, sorry for going off topic, but i just had to point this out.

Here's my take on the whole story....Some very tired and unimaginative people crammed together in a room had exactly one or two days to make a story out of the pieces of the game that they had finished. There are no answers, and any answers that are forthcoming are pulled, basically, from someone's fourth point of contact.