Frequent random crashes

Unfated

Question

The game crashes with a unity error at random intervals. There doesn't seem to be any reason for the crashes and it can happen at any time. Sometimes I can play for 30mins other times it crashes not long after loading in or rarely just loading the game crashes.

There is no output log file in any of the pillars of eternity folders.

Savegame:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10gZhx9E-dcKtLNK33wKiSIBL5upjn0n0/view

PC Specs:

RTX 4080 Super

i9-14900kf 3.2 GHz

32gb ram

DxDiag.txt

3 answers to this question

Hello @Unfated, I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue. I'll collect the save game + DxDiag and so we can track the issue internally. Though if you could check once more for the output_log.txt (OR playerlog.txt depending on your current version of the game) in the location of your installation (For example on Steam you would find the log at: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt), that would go a long way to determine what the issue might be. It usually sorts among the various level0->level164 files so it can help to use the search feature to find it.

Please note, you'll need to upload the output_log immediately following a crash for it to include any critical info, as it gets overwritten each time the game is launched.

To try and offer potential solutions in the meantime, here are a few things you might try:

1. Confirm that your GPU drivers are up to date.
  2. Consider verifying the integrity of game files (available on steam when right-clicking the game in your library) or do a fresh install of the game as an alternative.
  3. Try running the game in administrator mode.
  4. Check if the issue continues in windowed mode and on a lower resolution (e.g. 1280x1024)
  5. Lastly, if on Steam / GOG you might try viewing the alternate beta branches for the title and trying reverting to the "Legacy" branch for build 1318. (This may offer a different environment to avoid the issue. Though please note saved games made on newer versions won't appear on older builds)

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

My gpu drivers are up to date and I've verified the game files through steam (Before making the original post). Running as admin mode also didn't fix the issue. 

The game is running just fine after trying it today after I changed my CPU to a balanced power management setting with no crashes in the last hour of playing. Before it was crashing at least once every 5-10minutes. Unsure if it matters but the CPU usage sits at 100% and is clocking at 4.63 GHz, before it was clocking up around 5.6 GHz.

I've had issues with playing remnant 2 multiplayer with the CPU before and needed to update to fix it.

Nice! I'm glad you were able to find a solution. Sorry you had to troubleshoot in the first place.

I'll keep an eye out for this, it's not uncommon for CPU advancements to need to be throttled for legacy titles. I've seen similar threads where users have had to limit cores in much the same way.

Since we have your DxDiag, perhaps we can re-create this and investigate a better long term solution. Thanks for the report!