Pillars Of Eternity POTD player about races

In Pillars Of Eternity we can find different kinds of races, but but not all of them are playable. Each race has its unique characteristics and where it comes from. Remember, even though one race is better than the other, I still encourage you to first choose a race that you feel comfortable with and that suits you. It may sound strange now, but I personally believe that even on the highest difficulty level we can easily complete the game with our companions and, of course, our main character, whom we don't have to min-max. But here i'm to mybe help you decide which race to play for which class. I will focus on fighting aspect.

The game has six playable races and several races that are unique to our companions.

Human - They are the most neutral to play for players. We can easy immerse into the main character. But this could be also a defect because we can feel bored chained into our corporeal human shell.

Humans offer bonues: +1 to might, +1 to resolve

We also gain passive skill fighting spirit which gives us bonuses +7 to accuracy, +15% to damage for 20 sec when our endurance reach 50% or lower. Also this effect can be active 1 time per encounter so we cant heal our character and then once again get buff when we reach again 50% endurance. Important is a fact that fighting spirit is affected by you duration bonus from intellect so if we got min int then this effect will last about 13 sec. 

Lets talk about attribute points. Might is useful for mostly anyone because it's hard to find build that doesn't need bonus to heal or dmg or fortitude not bad i would say.

As for the resolve this stat is the best for tanks and useful but not great for melee characters.

All human subraces also offer the same thing so they are pure cosmetic and por role-play only.

I got a problem with a humans because on the one hand, their racial ability is strong, but on the other hand, it is difficult to use and is not constant. For tanks this skill seems to be good right? Wrong tanks rarely lose that much hp and even if they dont need dmg and accuracy much. For rangers and casters dps it's even worse if your hp drop then you do are in bad place so you need to run and heal yourself. If you do that then you lose like 1/3 of effect. For vulnerable using this skill is like gamble so i would rather avoid the idea of forcing it for constant uses. Last group are melee dps for them this is not that bad idea to play human i mean there are better choises but atlest we can afford to use this quite often and it will be useful. 

This race is good overall but not the best for anyone if i would pick and play human i would go for class like monk,paladin,fighter,barbarian. Those classes can play with decent intellect and also they will not die easy. i'll give this race 6/10 rate.

Aumaua - there are 2 types of aumaua blue and brown. Blue one looks like avatar and the brown one looks not like avatar. They are tall, muscular and from the game view they look a little scary. I think they look cool if someone need huge and strong character then you got your pick.

Aumaua offer bonus: +2 to might

Island Aumaua offer passive skill Armed to the teeth which give you + 1 weapon sets.

Coastal Aumaua offer passive skill Towerimg Physique which give bonus +20 to defence against prone and stun.

Bonus +2 to might is quite huge for any dps and also fighting healers.

bonus +1 weapon sets is only used in 1 build and this build is preloaded firearms and use a talent that allows us to change weapons with a smaller recovery time penalty and we take another +1 to weapon sets. Also this build doesn't use any specific class so we can use paladin with flame of devotion, ranger with wounding shot, rogue just for dmg or cipher for fast focus gain. And for those class i would consider this race unique build. Someone below also told that an additional weapon sets can be used to store more weapons with spells ye is it true i didn't consider that still i think it doesn"t save this subrace. Think about it in battle if you need weapon with particular spell then you pick your normal weapon sets and then swap to another weapon and use your spells or vice versa. Is it even worth to bother when you mostly fight with weak enemy? Also how many spells with weapon are you planning to us in 1 battle because after every battle you can swap your used per encounter weapons and wear another one. As for this build i will tell 1 more thing the more action you need to do manually the more irritating it becomes. I saw there is a mod on nexus mod website for auto weapon swap after shot but i dont know if it still works or not. I'll give 5/10 rate for island aumaua

bonus +20 to defence against stun and prone is great for everyone those afflictions are very powerful so i see no reason not to have more of it. It also stack with any items bonuses so we can get huge amount of defence. The only minus is as for a casters and range characters aumaua is not the first choice to take you will se below why. If i would pick this subrace i would go for class like fighter, paladin, monk, barbarian also priest and chanter seems not that bad and maybe druid. I'll give 7.5/10 rate for coastal aumaua.

Dwarf are short mighty and bulky i like to think about them like about strongmansjust subtract a few centimeters from their height and you have the image of a dwarf. Anyone with that stature will be less dexterous. As for the drinking and being greedy i dont know depends mainly on the person right? There are two playable types of dwarfs in game.

Dwarf offer bonus +2 to might,+1 to constitution, -1 to dexterity.

Mountain Dwarf offer passive skill Hale and Hardy which give you bonus +20 Defense against Poison and Disease. 

Boreal Dwarf offer passive skill Hunter's Instincts which give bonus +15 to accuracy againts Primordials and Wilder.

I think their combination of attributes makes them perfect for being classes that want might and constitutions as high as possible also they dont care much about dexterity. The first what i can say is a tank, monk, fighter, chanter priest. -1 to dexterity is bad thing only if you decide to max it but if you wanna set dexterity at 10 and maybe constitution at not maxed value then you basiccly got bonus +2 to might.

Bonus +20 to defense against poison and disease is huge it is true but those debuffs are not deadly and in most fight you will not even be worried about it. The only thing I can say about this subrace is that they are ordinary dwarves with a little plus. I'll give 4/10 rate for moutain dwarf.

Edited by Nater

4 hours ago, Nater said:

bonus +1 weapon sets is only used in 1 build and this build is preloaded firearms and use a talent that allows us to change weapons with a smaller recovery time penalty and we take another +1 to weapon sets. Also this build doesn't use any specific class so we can use paladin with flame of devotion, ranger with wounding shot, rogue just for dmg or cipher for fast focus gain. And for those class i would consider this race unique build. As for this build i will tell 1 more thing the more action you need to do manually the more irritating it becomes. I saw there is a mod on nexus mod website for auto weapon swap after shot but i dont know if it still works or not. I'll give 5/10 rate for island aumaua

+1 weapon sets is an underrated ability. It is not only useful for "firearms builds" but one more set means one or two more weapons (or shields) which have more abilities the pg can use, i.e. a fighter could have 3 fireballs with "The Flames of Fair Rhîan" and 2 suppress afflictions with "Forgotten Tear of the Beloved" (and 1 Prayer Against Treachery on top), so it can be used well in some situations.
There is a talent that give you one more weapon set, but if you pick island aumaua you can get 2 more chances of expand your ability or you can save one talent for other purpose.

I appreciate it.