Game crashes at mysterious machine

Hi,
 So every time I start a new game regardless if it's online or offline I can't get to the button on the mysterious machine without it crashing
It's like i get teleported away a little bit (usually back to the little red bug with the corpse) and then it freezes and I can't do anything. 
My joblist says it's something called "maine-Win64-shipping.exe" that's not responding. The game runs smoothly up until that point consistently no matter how much or little I do before or after I get to the machine.
Combat is also not an issue.
I've tried:
Turning off anti virus
Running as admin
Verifying files
reinstalling the game
deleting the binary folder to force a verification
running on lowest settings
if my friend messes with it and pushes the button it's also fine until I go to the button afterwards and it crashes again.
my graphics card is fully updated as well as my pc and the CPU doesn't spike at any point.

I'm really hoping for some help and clarification as to what's causing this issue.
Best regards
Kiri

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Kiri! I'm sorry that Grounded keeps crashing when you try to activate the Mysterious Machine. We thought we had all iterations of this bug fixed, but apparently not. 

Can you please send in a bug report to our official support site? Please make sure to include the following information. 

1. Platform (Xbox Console, PC Game Pass, PC Steam).
2. Multiplayer or Single Player Game (if multiplayer, can you let us know how many players in total in the game and their platforms if you know this)
3. Description of issue.
4. Last thing you did in the game before the issue occurred, if applicable.