Stuck on screen after "press any key"

I downloaded the game on launch last year and it has always worked up until very recently. I launch the game, it says press any key, and then I am stuck.  I did NOT get this game through Xbox Gamepass, which is odd since all of the other people who experienced this problem in the past (mind you there are no posts of this problem happening anytime recent) got the game through gamepass, and that the reason that it was not working was because of gamepass. 

Edited by Jacob Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there !

Well, until the latest patch (8 October 2020) I could play without any problems but since the latter I don't have any menus showing once the game is launched, exactly as described in the "Xbox gamepass" issue.

So YES it DOES happen as well when one plays the game on Epic apparently (my case).

I have no idea what to do to be honest: I've reinstalled the game, reinstalled Epic (you do all those illogical things when some program stops working for no apparent reason, isn't it), verified the files, to no avail.

I would LOVE to be able to continue my journey so, if anyone has a way to solve that issue (which clearly appeared after the latest patch --> 8 October 2020) or if you Devs read this, know that this problem seems to be recurrent and is really annoying as I cannot play the game anymore since no menus to click on (the game launches, I see the ship in the background and my mouse but that's it).

Thanks in advance for reading and bringing a solution !

18 hours ago, kerkamint said:

Hi there !

Well, until the latest patch (8 October 2020) I could play without any problems but since the latter I don't have any menus showing once the game is launched, exactly as described in the "Xbox gamepass" issue.

So YES it DOES happen as well when one plays the game on Epic apparently (my case).

I have no idea what to do to be honest: I've reinstalled the game, reinstalled Epic (you do all those illogical things when some program stops working for no apparent reason, isn't it), verified the files, to no avail.

I would LOVE to be able to continue my journey so, if anyone has a way to solve that issue (which clearly appeared after the latest patch --> 8 October 2020) or if you Devs read this, know that this problem seems to be recurrent and is really annoying as I cannot play the game anymore since no menus to click on (the game launches, I see the ship in the background and my mouse but that's it).

Thanks in advance for reading and bringing a solution !

I am really surprised no one else has encountered this issue on Epic Games. It is obvious it is related to the latest patch mentioned above. I provide a screenshot so you see what I mean exactly by "stuck on Main Menu". There are simply no more menus to click on, I simply cannot play the game anymore AND I tried to reinstall the game, update my graphics card drivers, remove the "Indiana" directory where my save and config files are, nothing worked. I am a bit frustrated to be honest as I simply cannot play the game AT ALL, not even start a new game !!! After "Click any key", I get no menus at all...

I am on Windows 10 Pro, all drivers updated, everything else works perfectly on my machine and I've NEVER encountered such a lame issue in a videogame before, like never ever: you get a patch and the menus disappear, seriously ?!?

Please, fix it because I paid for this game and at the moment it is literally NOT playable (not because of my computer, mind you). Thank you !

Main menu stuck.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hi kerkamint,

Are you still having this issue?

I was trying to install/use a console editor, and my anti-virus thought it was a trojan (maybe it was). Since then, I was encountering the same issue.

The only way I fixed it was to allow a particular .exe file through the firewall (either through Windows or Anti-Virus client).

In the directory where you've installed Outer Worlds (/TheOuterWorlds/Indiana/Binaries/Win64/), you will notice a file called "IndianaEpicGameStore-Win64-Shipping.exe". 

Add this file to your firewall and the problem should be fixed.

Hope this helps.

- Xarrus

Edited by Xarrus