Console graphic issue

Raedan

Question

Hi, I'm new to the forum and i Hope to post this in the right section.

I would like to report a problem affecting the Xbox One version of the game. It's a graphic issue, which is not a critical problem for the game. However I think that it's important that developers take it into consideration. I noticed that the console version is visibly downgraded compared to the PC version. it appears that the light settings are turned off and that no shadows are cast on the surfaces. In addition, there is an evident drop in the quality of the textures (es. Eothas), as well as the absence of effects on some environments and backgrounds (es. lava heat effect). This is strange because the game is easily managed by mid-range PCs.

Please check this video in order to understand:

Pillars of eternity 2 Xbox One X vs pc

The most important thing that I would like to point out, however, is the use of images from the PC version to advertise the game in the console version trailer. This is unfair and misleading. Are there any patches to optimize the game from this point of view?

4 answers to this question

It's likely the graphics were altered to accomodate to console specs. POE2 isn't an optimized game and doesn't perform particularly well. There's regulations for console games that need to be adhered to. This is also in terms of performance. This looks like it was done deliberately to make the game playable on lesser hardware. I agree though that if they used PC graphics for ads that is wrong. Although I'm sure that Obsidian had nothing to do with that as they did not release the game on console. Versus Evil did.

• Like 1

Maybe it's true for the basic consoles versions, but not for xbox one x and ps4 pro. In the video linked on the First message the game rum on a 2013 notebook (i7 with gtx770m), configuration largely surpassed by the consoles in the "pro" and "x" versions. So It would be desirable a patch, especially considering that images shown in the trailer are from the PC version... This kind of info Is not correct for the final user.

1 hour ago, Raedan said:

Maybe it's true for the basic consoles versions, but not for xbox one x and ps4 pro. In the video linked on the First message the game rum on a 2013 notebook (i7 with gtx770m), configuration largely surpassed by the consoles in the "pro" and "x" versions. So It would be desirable a patch, especially considering that images shown in the trailer are from the PC version... This kind of info Is not correct for the final user.

For PC you can choose to play it on lesser hardware and accept the loss in performance for better graphics. That's one of the things that's not allowed for console games. And xbox and playstation have really poor hardware imo. My 2015 pc is more than twice as powerful. Most of all it's the lack of any type of SSD though in these consoles. And the thing is that console built games aren't big on HDD requirements as a result. This is why you don't really see a big increase in performance for true console games. Ported games will benefit more from an SSD though. So that includes games like Deadfire. You cannot really judge ported games from PC to console. Some will perform well, others will not and there's really nothing you can do about it.

• Like 1

Maybe you're right.. My message was to report the obvious backward steps of the conversion on the graphic front. I hope it will be useful for those Who looking for info, since the various reviews of the console version do not mention it (and even the trailer). On the controls and the interface instead a great job has been done. Pillars of eternity 2 remains an exceptional game, but if you have the opportunity I highly recommend buying on pc..