Idea and Help Request: Modding Dual Wield talent (Two Weapon Style) again for Turn Based, splitting Dual Wield Attack into Two Separately Targetables

I had this dream, that in the Turn Based Mode, where you strike with auto attacks both weapons in succession, you could instead opt to get the now useless Two Weapon Style talent that would have modified behavior like so;

Two Weapon Style

•  Grants a Standard action ability Main Hand Opener
  •  This is a Standard action ability which replicates the individual swing of the Main Hand weapon with the same -35% Dual Wield Penalty damage modifier as in regular dual wielded auto attacks, a Primary Attack with -35% damage modifier in essence
  •  Main Hand Opener gives temporary Free action ability Off Hand Finish which would be temporarily granted for use until the end of turn
  •  Off Hand Finish replicates a single Off Hand auto attack with the Off Hand weapon, with the usual -35% Dual Wield Penalty damage modifier

The end goal and result of such modding would be, that by getting the Two Weapon Style talent, the character could decouple the main hand and off hand auto attacks into two separate attacks to two separate targets, even moving at the battlefield between strikes if need be, or for example mixing a pistol shot and a sword swing, which is not possible with the current auto attack. The main hand opener strike would be a Standard action that grants a temporary until end of turn Free action for the off hand finisher.

Now my question is, is there a mechanism how one could create this ability Off Hand Finisher ? It would need to replicate just an auto attack with the off hand auto attack animation and damage. Also, it would be good to temporarily lock the Weapon Set to not be switchable for the remainder of the turn when using Main Hand Opener and also to make it Conditional to require Two Weapons equipped. The intention is to allow any combination of two Melee or Ranged (or mix of Melee+Range) weapons to be used with the Two Weapon Style.

The end goal and result of such modding would be, that by getting the Two Weapon Style talent, the character could de-couple the main hand and off hand auto attacks into two separate strikes to two separate targets, even moving at the battle field between them if need be. The main hand opener strike would be a Standard action that grants a temporary until end of turn Free action for the off hand finisher.

This is a very cool idea, but I don't think we have access to autoattack as a modifiable ability. That said, since each attack is fairly deliberate in turn based mode, perhaps an active ability could be created that costs nothing to use or train, would be selectable (ie situationally optional) during combat, and could get pretty close to the functionality that you're describing. The hardest part would be the finisher/off-hand animation. That may not be something that can be singled out like I think the mainhand attack can be. But this idea is worth researching and testing to find a solution.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was hoping someone would have a knack or quick insight how to achieve creating a custom ability for just an off hand strike, but I guess I'll have to dig the documentation myself for clues. Also, I guess I am waiting for the next patch to come out before pushing this idea, because I think there will be some mandatory mechanical changes to be patched in, and I will have to adapt and consider what still needs polish in my opinion, after the Official Development Team finishes with their work on Turn Based mode. Thanks for the encouraging post Armakoir  :no:

I'm looking the docs all over, for a mod request (make smoke cloud a free action), and I stumbled upon this which might be of interest to you :

https://eternity.obsidian.net/game-data-formats/enumerations#overrideattackvalue

OverrideAttackValue lets you force the type of attack you're triggering, be it full, primary, or secondary.

Just thought I'd drop that.

• Like 2

OK I just spent waaaayyy too much time trying to change an ability to a Free Action in turn-based.

I'm not sure if you know how, so just in case to save you the time :

Whether you've got yourself a free action is stored in the Attack definition of the ability.

What's a bit tricky is, by default, it's a combination of the attack variation and recovery time  :blink:

You can override it, just like so :

{
    "GameDataObjects": [
		{
			"$type": "Game.GameData.AttackMeleeGameData, Assembly-CSharp",
			"DebugName": "Smoke_Veil_Self",
			"ID": "c114f495-e7cb-4be4-b70b-e71c9f9c51af",
			"Components": [
				{
					"$type": "Game.GameData.AttackBaseComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
					"OverrideTacticalActionType": "Free"
				}