Optimal class/build for main char in a player-made (adventurer) party

Hi all.

Just got the game recently. I stalked  the forums a bit and fiddled around in act 1 to get the feel for the mechanics, but now I want to commit to a play-trough. I doubt I will be replaying the game any time soon after finishing it (no time, will probably take me months for one run), I really don't wanna find out half way trough that I messed up at the start. My plan is to use the story companions until I can do their quests and/or they become too weak to hold their own in fights (gonna start on PotD, no ironman), at which point I will replace them with self-created adventurers.

With that in mind, What class should I start out with to make the most use out of the bonuses the main char gets. From what I've read, the candidates that make the most sense are either
a) A paladin to take advantage of the defense bonuses you get from dialogue.

b) A cipher to take advantage of all the crit bonuses, stats and stealth/mechanics skill points you get from story talents.

Priests get a bonus from talking as well, but it doesn't seem to be anything special. Rogues and rangers can make use of damage and stealth bonuses, but they seem to be bad classes from what I've read. Also, there seems to be a companion paladin that is ok and has some special talents that you can't pick yourself (this is the only real issue I have with this game so far, the companions seem to be just worse versions of player-made characters with no unique abilities that make up for their ****ty builds, even their unique items can be used by anyone). What should I do? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks.

Yes, def. overthinking. :) There is no optimal build. Most fun build for me is Firebrand-Barb (see Cauterizer build in the build list) - but maybe that's just me.

Official companions are actually better than custom made adventurers (unless you are following a very special build) because they are one level above adventurers when it matters most (early to mid game). PoE's stats don't have as much impact as stats have in other games. So the non-optimal stat distribution doesn't hurt as much as you might think. The builds of your official companions you will do yourself (if you opt out of auto-leveling). If the build is ****ty it's your fault then. ;)

Also some of them do have unique abilities (Maneha, Zahua, Devil of Caroc, Hiravias, Sagani, Pallegina...).

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes, def. overthinking. :) There is no optimal build. Most fun build for me is Firebrand-Barb (see Cauterizer build in the build list) - but maybe that's just me.

Official companions are actually better than custom made adventurers (unless you are following a very special build) because they are one level above adventurers when it matters most (early to mid game). PoE's stats don't have as much impact as stats have in other games. So the non-optimal stat distribution doesn't hurt as much as you might think. The builds of your official companions you will do yourself (if you opt out of auto-leveling). If the build is ****ty it's your fault then. ;)

Also some of them do have unique abilities (Maneha, Zahua, Devil of Caroc, Hiravias, Sagani, Pallegina...).

I guess later when you have tons of items with stats bonuses, stats don't matter that much, but early on it's really annoying how ineffective the followers are. For example, I did the Raedric fight twice now, once with a main char priest with 19 int and dex, and once with a different main char and Durance. Huge difference. I guess I suck at positioning and managing aggro, but still...

Anyway, I know there is no best build overall, I was just wondering what kind of a build takes the most advantages out of being the main char, i.e. from story talents, stats bonuses and disposition. I like the build you suggested, definitely gonna try it out when I run into the items you mentioned.

The best pick mechanically would be paladin or priest as MC because both profit from the correct dispositions.

Priest gets a stronger Holy Radiance and Paladin gets a stronger Faith and Conviction.

Priests are considered to be the strongest class in PoE so the answer could be MC priest. But if it's also the most fun for you...?

I personally like PoE Priests as MC. They can be awesome supporters as well as damage dealers.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods