Unable to Launch Game - Initial Launch from New Install - New Steam Purchase

HappyCanine

Question

Hello, 

I have been unable to launch Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - Obsidian Edition. I recently wanted to try the game and purchased the game today (12/26/2018) on Steam. I have searched many forums/threads for answers, unsuccessfully, and I have come here for help. So far, I haven't been able to get the game running at all to enjoy it, and I hear that it is a fun game!  

I am using a fairly-new computer: Dell XPS 15 9570 (Intel i7 8th Gen, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Nvidia 1050Ti-MaxQ)  --> See attached System Specs from DxDiag

I have already tried to complete the following steps: --> See attached crash report folder
1 - Restart the computer
2 - Uninstall and Reinstall the game
3 - Ensure Nvidia Drivers are completely updated
4 - Verified Integrity of Game files via Steam
5 - Windows 10 is fully updated
6 - I also purchased the game via GOG to try to replicate the problem (also unsuccessful) 
7 - I have also checked the windows registry, but as the game doesn't even load, there are isn't a registry entry under "Obsidian Entertainment" for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. 

To Replicate the Error/crash is Simple: --> See attached Picture of error message
1 - Install the Game 
2 - Click on the Launch Icon
3 - See pop-up error message "The game has crashed" - also directing me to a crash folder. 
4 - There is no black screen, blue screen, or change in my desktop background
5 - It appears that the game does not load at all

Any assistance and help would be greatly appreciated! 

DxDiag.txt

2018-12-26_180254.zip

post-227045-0-81032900-1545867551_thumb.jpg

1 answer to this question

Hello HappyCanine,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble getting Deadfire to start.  The only reason we have seen this occur lately is due to a networking program called Citrix.  Other users who had this issue reported that there was an update to their Citrix receivers that caused some of their Unity based games on Steam to fail when launching.  Those users also reported rolling back the Citrix update or uninstalling the program was able to resolve their issue with launching Deadfire.

Would you be able to check to see if this is the issue you are having and let me know the results?

Thank you HappyCanine, and sorry for the inconvenience this is causing.