Could somebody explain the exact, uh, mechanics involved in finding hidden objects/stashes in PoE?
Yes, I know that it is Mechanics skill + scouting mode.
But how is success rate calculated exactly?
By searching the forums I've found the following explanation in a post from 2016:
1. You need a high enough mechanic level on one character to spot secret things.
2. You can spot them passively if the level of the secret is 4 less than your mechanic level.
3. You need scout mode to see all other secret things up to your mechanic level, if the required level higher than what you have nothing will show up.
Is it correct at all? Is it correct for the current build of the game?
If this is correct:
1. You can find "The Disappointer" with 0 Mechanics if you enter scouting mode.
Does this mean that some hidden objects have a detection value of 0? (So they can always be detected with no points in Mechanics if you enter scouting mode).
2. In the Wiki article about BotEP there is the following description of the location of one of its parts:
Second broken blade level 9 – in a hidden room in the south-east corner (requires mechanics 9 & in stealth mode to find hidden switch)
Does this mean that you can only find some hidden objects only in scouting mode even if your Mechanics skill is high enough? (I.e. if I have Mechanics 13 or higher I will not be able to spot its location if I don't enter scouting mode?)
Or is it just a writing/editing quirk on the Wiki?
I've played the game several times and I always have one character with high Mechanics in my party and almost always explore in scouting mode. But a user on Steam forums asked how to detect hidden objects and while giving him the usual answer I got curious about the actual math behind the detection process.
Edited by smilehigh, 10 September 2018 - 12:38 PM.