The Reliquary (weapons and armour)

I'm going to post my thought process on the items and mod because... well, I just like to post.

OVERALL:

I liked the idea that there are eleven classes and eleven gods. I think Obsidian should have leaned more into the numerology- have eleven skills, for example. Some weapon types are sorely lacking uniques, and I thought classes and gods would be a decent core to build a mod around.

I looked at equipment with few uniques in the base game and tried to figure what gods might fit them, and also which classes might fit which gods best- Abydon and Wizard seemed a good fit since that class is about constructing artificial spells, for example, or Woedica goes with Paladin because Paladins are all about serving a higher power/authority. I also picked skills I thought seemed a good fit for the class and/or god- Mechanics for Abydon, etc. I like the effects that increase based on skill so I'm adding one of those to each weapon. I like the idea that the weapon will grow with your character.

The one drawback of multiclassing is that you don't get the tier 8 and 9 abilities, so when it came to enchantments I thought adding the top-tier abilities would be a good idea, that way multiclass characters can get a taste of what they're missing. The top-tier abilities are naturally quite powerful; some I've modified a bit, and I might restrict them to higher quality levels to add more of a built-in cost.

I also like pretty colours so all the items so far have visual effects. I'll probably calm down with that because if you equip all four items right now you look like a Christmas tree...

CROSSBOW:

Abydon/Wizard/Mechanics

I made it one-handed to give the impression it's lighter/less cumbersome than a normal crossbow. Reloading looks a little funky; I tried to eliminate reloading entirely but couldn't get it to work- character would just refuse to attack. Oh well!

It has no Pen to start with but gets more with high Mechanics, and has higher max damage than a normal crossbow but the lowest damage is 1. A high variability in damage hopefully gives the impression it's a very old machine which barely works, while the high max damage hopefully still makes it seem appealing despite doing overall lower damage than a regular crossbow.

CLUB:

Skaen/Rogue/Bluff

I wanted to make it blind enemies when you missed them, but that isn't something we can do it looks like, so instead it does it when they miss you.

I gave it an evil dripping-shadows effect and Corrode damage, because Corrode seems very Skaenish.

I gave it the name it has because I really like the lore behind the Leaden Key, and their cloaked-in-shadow MO is also pretty Skaenish.

ARBALEST:

Woedica/Paladin/Intimidate

I gave it a Paladinish attack which heals party members around the enemy you attack- very minor healing but gets higher with Intimidate.

I gave it the animancy bow projectile because making this a kind of animancy bow had a nice implication of Aedyran hypocrisy- we don't like animancy but sure we'll use it to kill people. Felt like it rang true for how empires do their thing.

BRIGANDINE:

Rymrgand/Barbarian/Stealth

Brigandine is repulsive, I only gave this a vfx because I wanted something to distract from how bad it looks. I think I'll only do items I like the look of from now on. Thanks to tonpix for looking into how the Breath Of Winter soulbound armour managed to attach a vfx by the way.

I don't know what thought process led me to stealth for Rymrgand or Barbarians, to be honest, but I'm trusting my instincts. Rymrgand and Barbarians seem like a decent fit because barbarians have the AOE melee attack but don't do a lot of damage, so their MO is more or less wearing down a group of opponents- inflicting entropy on them, you might say...

• Like 2

I...like brigandine... :yes:

I bet you could get the "blind on missed" to work somewhat like you want it. I think with a club you'd have to hit first, apply a status effect on the enemy which has an event status effect attached, and then further misses beyond the first hit would blind (initially from all sources, but using conditionals we might be able to limit that blindness to misses from the club). I can look at it tomorrow.

Hmm... I wonder if you could have the weapon give off an aura or something that applies that status effect(say, Blinded OnMissed) to all enemies within range(say 2-3m from self), then missing any one of those enemies would apply the Blind to them. I don't know enough about auras/chants to know if that'd be feasible. Definitely worth having a look at for future items tho...

Edited by house2fly
  • Like 2