Freezes (video and audio) every 3 seconds or so and extremely long loading screens

AndrewD

Question

My system is:

Nvidia 940MX 2GB VRAM

Intel i5 7200U

4GB RAM DDR4

1000GB HDD

Description of the problems: 

1) The most urgent matter is that after a short period of time, the game stutters/hard freezes almost continously for 3-8 seconds, making the game unplayable. The freezes occur mostly after loading an area or at the start of the combat. When this happens, the audio is also intrerupted. Framerate is kinda good, between 40-60fps (60fps mostly in indoor areas) on the lowest settings and 30-35 on medium-high, maybe even 45-50 in indoor areas. But the hard freezes are awful. The framerate drops to 20, 14, 10, even 4 fps (or 1-2 fps during loading screens) They also occur when opening menus or items/character panels.

Take a look at this video, in the beginning. This video isn't mine, but it is the same kind of issue. In my case is a lot more severe and it doesn't happen only during combat, but persist even when exploring an area.

2)Loading Screens. The initial loading screen (after starting the game) is taking something between 3 and 5 minutes. Other loading screens are taking 1 to 3 minutes. 

Important Files:

1) I don't know how relevant this is, since it happens no matter how many times I start a new game, but here we go.

2) Output log 

Attached

3) System Specs/dxdiag

Attached

If you need anything else, a video proof or something, please do tell. I just want to play the game.

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

2 answers to this question

Hi AndrewD,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing performance issues during normal gameplay and loading screens. I suggest doing the following:

1. Make sure that your graphics and OS drivers are up to date

2. Play in Windowed mode at a lower resolution

3. Play Pillars of Eternity II without other ongoing resource intensive programs running

Additionally, the link to your save files was a bit too indirect for us to consider it safe, so if you'd like to provide us with your save files, please provide them via a Dropbox link instead.

Thanks!

1. Drivers and OS are all up to date

2. Playing at the lowest resolution (which is 1280x729 if I recall correctly) or the highest available (the native 1920x1080) doesn't make any significant difference.

3. I'm already doing this. I know 4GB of RAM is not ideal, but it is supported in the system requirements. I already tried closing every single possible resource-eater program, even explorer.exe

Here is a dropbox link for the saves, I don't know what good they are for the problem at hand, but I guess you guys know better than me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/87433noo82gl202/saves.zip?dl=0