Eora from the eyes of a Sigilian Cutter

Re-starting my second run of POE 2 here, and for this go, I'm going to make a close approximation of a Mercykiller character of mine from a Planescape community. Here's my question though; of all the factions present, which do you suppose a Mercykiller would find the most common ground with? 

Obviously, the Principi are excluded entirely, being brigands and lawless sods for whom burning at the stake is too good an end...

The others though, they seem to have a decent case within them.

Huana; the natives of the land, so their laws, harsh or not, are laws to be respected and observed. They are, however, so chaotic and fragmented that chaos follows in their wake, and no real way of keeping law across the clan borders.

Valians come from a generally ordered government, but are so into profit above all else that they are willing to break or sideline the law in the name of more money. 

RDC are a true empire, the only one really pushing for true order above all else. Yet they are in direct opposition to existing laws?

I know this is a bit of a bad question in general, since none of these factions are clear cut enough to do anything but make a Sigilian go mad, but all the same, I thought it could be a fun experiment :D. Anyhow, anyone have any thoughts?

• Like 2

Absolutely Huana. The way they cling to tradition and reward their society from the top down is absolutely in line with the letter of the LAW. 

The way they use the Old City is very much in line with how a certain spirited factol used Sigil's great prison, too. 

Valians come from a generally ordered government, 

They really don't. There are five Ducs, and each one is trying to screw the rest only slightly less than the natives. 

If Valians understood the rule of Law, there would be still be an Old Vailia in high regard.

It is worth noting that the principles of the Red Death would very closely align with the Leaden Key and (Especially) the Steel Garrote. Woedica is big on oaths fullfilled, and harsh to those who waver...

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate
  • Like 1

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Absolutely Huana. The way the cling to tradition and reward their society from the top down is absolutely in line with the letter of the LAW. 

The way they use the Old City is very much in line with how a certain spirited factol used Sigil's great prison, too. 

Valians come from a generally ordered government, 

They really don't. There are five Ducs, and each one is trying to screw the rest only slightly less than the natives. 

If Valians understood the rule of Law, there would be still be an Old Vailia in high regard.

It is worth noting that the principles of the Red Death would very closely align with the Leaden Key and (Especially) the Steel Garrote. Woedica is big on oaths fullfilled, and harsh to those who waver...

Yeah, I was leaning towards Huana as well, seeing as how they are the 'legit' government. And yeah, upon your reminder I guess I do agree about the Valians basically being the chaotic segment here.  What about the RDC though?

Ugh, Woedica. I'm going to stick with "she's a Guvner" , with whom the MK might be allied but still butt heads with now and again. Or..anything really. Any chance to stick it to Woedica, evil conniving hag that she is >_>  (I'll show you a  moon you witch!!!!). 

..ekhm.... pardon. Woedica inspires certain thoughts for sure.  

Edited by Daggerknight
  • Like 2

Well. the RDC is definitely the pinnacle of ordered opposition. Activities are done on a strategic, rather than local scale, and equipment and personnel are logged extensively. 

If the Deadfire is going to get an effective centralzed rule, it's through them. You can see the results for yourself in Sayuka. 

It's up to you whether Pax Ruatania is better than Local traditions upheld. It would seem the Queen and the Ranga Nui's authority can't coexist amicably. 

Will your esteem for a faction extend to taking bounties on them, or not? All are technically legal (except maybe the Principi ones). 

What about the RDC though?

Might have a teeny problem with their final quest. ;)  But, then again, much of the heart and soul of Planescape was dealing with the inherent problem of "Real Life" vs "Ideals" as well as finding out the various factions weren't quite as pure to their ideals as one might think.  

It'd make for an interesting dilemma for the character.  The RDC will impose a highly orderly society on this area that is disorganized from their PoV, and with a minimum amount of relative fuss as well.  But they ARE imposing it.  And aren't afraid to get their hands very dirty in the process.  They also don't exactly cloak themselves in the language of retribution and justice, which is more a VTC thing.

In a way, the RDC is perfect for the Harmonium, especially the less savory aspects of said group.

====

I would also point out that at one of the pirate factions is trying to turn the Prinicipi into a legitimate government based more on the traditions of their Grand Vailian ancestors.  Something to keep in mind, if you want to role-play a character who doesn't mind helping others rediscover their heritage.

Of course, even that faction has... issues when it comes to skirting the law of the area (*cough* dealing with Crookspur *cough*).  Then again, a Mercykiller might not care as much about what goes down in Crookspur as your average cutter. ;)

• Like 1

What about the RDC though?

Might have a teeny problem with their final quest. ;)  But, then again, much of the heart and soul of Planescape was dealing with the inherent problem of "Real Life" vs "Ideals" as well as finding out the various factions weren't quite as pure to their ideals as one might think.  

It'd make for an interesting dilemma for the character.  The RDC will impose a highly orderly society on this area that is disorganized from their PoV, and with a minimum amount of relative fuss as well.  But they ARE imposing it.  And aren't afraid to get their hands very dirty in the process.  They also don't exactly cloak themselves in the language of retribution and justice, which is more a VTC thing.

In a way, the RDC is perfect for the Harmonium, especially the less savory aspects of said group.

====

I would also point out that at one of the pirate factions is trying to turn the Prinicipi into a legitimate government based more on the traditions of their Grand Vailian ancestors.  Something to keep in mind, if you want to role-play a character who doesn't mind helping others rediscover their heritage.

Of course, even that faction has... issues when it comes to skirting the law of the area (*cough* dealing with Crookspur *cough*).  Then again, a Mercykiller might not care as much about what goes down in Crookspur as your average cutter. ;)

Depending the MK in question, true enough! Though Crookspur would definately be pushing it, given that slavery is illegal in Deadfire, and given that their slaves are likely captured folk, rather than criminals serving a sentence themselves. But I digress...

Principi attempting to form into a new "government" doesn't really absolve them of being pirates meanwhile though, so I'm probably just going to smash their heads in this time around.

You're probably right about RDC being more Harmonium. Honestly though, it's what made it a wee bit hard to choose between them and Huana. Aaah, the choices...(oh, and the bit about the RDC's final mission really applies to everyone, given that all of them want you to do something super underhanded at the end). 

Well. the RDC is definitely the pinnacle of ordered opposition. Activities are done on a strategic, rather than local scale, and equipment and personnel are logged extensively. 

If the Deadfire is going to get an effective centralzed rule, it's through them. You can see the results for yourself in Sayuka. 

It's up to you whether Pax Ruatania is better than Local traditions upheld. It would seem the Queen and the Ranga Nui's authority can't coexist amicably. 

Will your esteem for a faction extend to taking bounties on them, or not? All are technically legal (except maybe the Principi ones). 

Probably not. Bounty is likely to be a bounty regardless.

given that all of them want you to do something super underhanded at the end). 

Well, not ALL of them.  Ironically enough the one subfaction that is completely ruled out of hand for your character (Aeldys) is the only one who doesn't want to do anything morally questionable in the slightest at the end.  All she wants is to get rid of the double-dealing so-and-so who is already out to get her and is proving that said person is breaking one of the most sacrosanct laws/traditions the Principi have.

Life just ain't fair somedays, I tells ya.  :down:

• Like 1

Well, yeah. The New Bloods don't have any plans to do anything especially terrible, just persist in the regular things they already do 8 days a week. 

Furrante is chaos for a (presumably) higher order. Aeldys is chaos for it's own sake. 

Hey. Daggerknight, your original question got in my head and took up residence. 

I decided to do a breakdown of the convergence of Planescape and Deadfire factions.

Athar             None (Can’t accept divine aid)

Godsmen                      VTC

Bleak Cabal          Doesn’t matter

Doomguard     Any except Huana. 

Dustmen              Splintered Reef 

Fated                  Furrante Principi

Fraternity of Order        Huana

Free League    Solo or Aeldys Principi

Harmonium                    RDC

Mercykillers            RDC or Huana

Revolutionary League     Solo

Sign of One                   VTC

Sensates                     Any or All

Transcendent Order       Solo

Xaositects              Aeldys Principi

Double-checking my reasoning is of course wholesome and welcome to any who wish to.