Giacollo's research on godlike was successful, and no more problematic than medical screening of fetuses. In some senses, his work severing Pallegina's chime has many parallels to the difficulties trans children go through. Animancers are the only ones with any real grasp on mental health (which has been explained as damage to the soul in some form), and although the sanitarium is not a great example of patient care for extreme cases, that was mostly due to one person's mistreatment, not animancers as a whole. And people with lesser issues are definitely helped there. The woman working on Awakening cases hasn't had too much success yet and is maybe a little to focused on the humorism system of medicine :p but she definitely made progress with your help, which could eventually help people like Aloth who don't come to terms with their Awakened preincarnations.

I think like any form of science, there is a lot that can be done with it, but expecting any of it to be inherently "good" is an unrealistic standard. Splitting atoms leads to nuclear energy and also nuclear weapons. And the methods of discovering new science are often going to be controversial and can easily become morally exploitative. Surgery saves millions of lives, but originally? It meant butchering people. As a "medieval" world, they haven't gotten to a point where this branch of science has a list of benefits and successes longer than it's failures during testing. That doesn't mean it's not on its way though. And like I said before, condemning animancy because of the people who practice it would also mean condemning basically all forms of magic as well. There are just as many selfish/overly dedicated wizards as animancers, and just as many druids who think that what they're doing is for the greater good and therefore necessary.

Edited by Shatterstar
  • Like 1

Wow. Thank you for this thread! I had spend ages trying to figure out why I couldn't free some of the souls on the beach. I thought there was an ability that I was missing, and finally got frustrated and just left them there. I didnt realize my Watcher had to bring Xoti in to deal with them??