*Initial* Load takes much longer *now*

Rolandur

Question

• Initial = from Continue on Game Menu, after initial launch of the save file all other loading screens are of normal duration
  • Now = just started doing this for me yesterday (about 5 hours of gameplay-ago)
  • Searching = this topic is virtually impossible to search for here or with search engines because of the massive amounts of posts/articles of people simply not liking load times.

With all my caveats out of the way the bug for me is only when launching an already saved game from a fresh session. The load times were, and always have been, around 5 to 7 seconds but now the *initial* Load when I [Continue] from the Game Menu is upwards of 60 seconds or more.

What happened to cause this and any recommendations on how to get my *initial* load of my save games to be around 5 to 7 seconds again?

• Other statistics
    • Once a game (save) is loaded (in a game session): going to the Load Screen and loading any other save game OR the one I am currently playing (usually a Quick Save) it will load in ~3 seconds. [normal]
    • Loading into an indoor area ~4 seconds. [normal]
    • Loading a new map/area ~6 seconds. [normal]
    • Have restarted computer (full shut down and cut power to MoBo for 90 seconds)
    • Have current Nvidia driver
    • Did not update anything
    • Steam did not update anything
    • Beer is cold and ready for application

I attached the save game file in question but the Forum software gave me the error "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

Thanks

4 answers to this question

With all my caveats out of the way the bug for me is only when launching an already saved game from a fresh session. The load times were, and always have been, around 5 to 7 seconds but now the *initial* Load when I [Continue] from the Game Menu is upwards of 60 seconds or more.

After launching the game you could load a save in 5-7 seconds. Then 5 hours ago that first loading stretched to 60 seconds.

How many hours of gameplay?

jDWKOKB.jpg?1

I attached the save game file in question but the Forum software gave me the error "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

The forum doesn't allow the savegame attachments, you'll need to use www.dropbox.com or www.sendspace.com or google drive.

The log and your dxdiag could also be useful.

I've come to burn your kingdom down

"After launching the game you could load a save in 5-7 seconds."

Affirmative.

"Then 5 hours ago that first loading stretched to 60 seconds."

The 'first' loading yes.

"How many hours of gameplay?"

~18 hours; file size was 1.5mb

--

I seemed to fix the problem by loading an old save, another character, from the 2.0 days. That file size was around 7mb (much larger) and it loaded in ~7 seconds. Now when I load the newer [play through] it loads around expected times (~5 seconds). Not sure what happened but maybe an internal file sorting problem that got corrected from loading a year old save?

I don't have an answer, but as you suggest it's possible something was wrong with the game temp files. 

Could it be another effect of "antivirus scanning the folder while the game is trying to use it"?

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88009-save-games-not-showing-up/?p=1827931

Negative, no anti virus on this computer (aside from windows firewall and defender). I just stay safe with gmail and running NoScript/AdBlocker on the browser. Has worked well very well [for a mostly-gaming-only computer].

Whatever was causing the issue has cleared up so it's a bit confusing and difficult to diagnose. I did use the Asset Bundle Extractor on a few unity/asset files but only on files I copied out of the game_directory to another folder [on my desktop] to have a look at the contents. Never Imported or replaced the files copied out of the game directory.